Store seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by grassdude, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Hey guys just a simple question probably previously answered. but where would be the ideal place to store unused seeds. i have a few but cant plant them all at once. would it be best to keep them in the breeder pack? just don't want to ruin them. thanks. :D

2. I would say in an airtight container, in a cool (room temp or a little less) and dark place is "ideal". so as close as you can get to that

3. Greenhouse seeds says to store in air tight container,dark,ideal temp is 4 degrees C

4. Thanks for the responses. yeah i was unsure about the temps. some say store in a fridge? i suppose that's cool enough. :cool:

5. In an airtight container, with a little desiccant pack, in the fridge.

6. Perfect, thanks:D

7. If you don't have a dessicant pack just throw in a teaspoon of uncooked rice.

8. Toasty, nice one !!!

9. Yeah that's pretty genius, would have never thought of that one. :hello: Rice and beans in the fridge they go. Do you guys know how long they will stay "fresh"?

10. Archaeologists found seeds in Egyptian tombs thousands of years old that germinated - don´t think they were MJ though.

This year I had a disaster trying to germinate seeds I set in 2005 - they were no longer viable. But I don´t think I paid enough care to storing them - just left them lying around - a lesson learnt.

11. #12 puff, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
    Cantharis you dont live in egypt or have your seeds sealed in a canopic jar so dont feel so bad. :)

I have had mine in 35 mm film canisters in the basement and have got 5 - 6 yrs out of em. Shitty germ rates though - like 20%.

Yea u can freeze them in ln forever.

12. Hey a real easy way to get a dessicant pack is just go buy a tiny advil bottle or any kind of pill drug. There is always a little pack or cylinder in there!

13. Thanks for the info link! Green house seeds seem like a good place to get your seeds from.

i have some rice with it right now but i may throw a dessicant pack in there to achieve that extra dryness :smoking:

14. Damn - good idea. I must be smoking too much - I woulda never thought of that.

No brain - no pain lol :smoking:

15. Haha ya, just thought of that, I thought it was a pretty good idea lol.