Stop lying to yourselves.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ete23, Nov 22, 2011.

1. #41 DBV, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
    I'm just saying lightspeed on an atomic scale would distort reality and most likely collapse the atomic wave function of the object travelling.

I guess I just didn't like the phrase "100% possible" in a relative scale because it only exists via subatomic particles. You have to consider quantum wave functions when considering a fully atomic scale, along with the energy that may or may not interfere with the atoms function. Either way I'm sober enough now to realise this is way of topic so I guess we'll just cheers and go on with life at our normal, comfortable speed in which it is supposed to be observed.

2. I guess that phrase was a bit misleading, understood. But it' an observable fact, the mechanics of how to utilize it is the only thing seperating us from time traveling right now. Even if we travel at 90% the speed of light, it will still work while remaining structurally inetgral, who knows what that tipping point may be, we may discover force fields to protect us at 99% speed of light. Science fiction aside, I feel (as well as many others) that the mechanics of it are entirely possible. And yes, we are pretty much 100% off topic here, so I'm done with this random ass topic :p

3. How do you know it will remain structurally integral at those speeds though?

4. [quote name='"DBV"']How do you know it will remain structurally integral at those speeds though?[/quote]

I thought we both decided this topic was over?

5. #45 meddlehaze, Nov 22, 2011
    I was not disagreeing with that specific claim.

6. Just curious how you know that.. but I'm cool with letting it go. Cheers bud.

7. Idk, something about how you said we will just go on with our lives, then I said the same thing at the end of my post. Soemthing about us both saying we'd let it go led me to believe that this conversation was over. However, it appears like you just want the last word. My mistake. You can post again and have it, i'm going to smoke. :wave:

8. #48 DBV, Nov 22, 2011
    I was just interested man.. You learn something new everyday! I guess I was just eager to start early. haha.

As far as I know, anything even close to lightspeed has only been observed on a subatomic scale. I didn't know if you'd read studies I haven't or if it was just theoretical.

9. I have an easy enough time kicking the idea of a biblical creation to the curb, what I do have a hard time of letting go of is the morality and ideals the bible teaches. True, society is destined to collapse sooner or later, but many of the things the bible teaches are essential for it to function- i.e. Don't kill your neighbor, don't covet your neighbor's wife, don't steal, etc. Too often I see people denounce Christianity, then they turn around and also denounce morality and that gets them into some horrible situations. For the record, though, I do believe in some form of evolution and I think much of the book of Genesis is a a metaphor for what really happened.