Stoned Memory and Learning

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by IamODESE, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Since being high for some folks cause short term memory issues, would studying or doing something that exercises remembering certain things be better since the memory being used wouldn't b e short term?

2. Depends honestly. Some people can study high, some cant. I've never studied high, but I've written papers high, and I have to say, they were pretty damn good :smoke:

3. I tend to find that when I need to do a bit of lateral thinking, for instance in English or a social science subject, studying high tends to help shit loads, but when I need to apply logic and stuff, like in mathematics, weed is just a hindrance. Thats just me though

4. Yea, I love to just have a nice puff or two when I am typing up a paper. Most of the time when I write, my problem is that I think about what I am gonna put down. But when I am high, my fingers just start flowing and moving and I try my best to make it relevant to the topic, which can be a problem if you get a little too high. But all you need to do is make sure you revise it sober and most of the time I am surprised at how well I compose myself whilst writing under the influence.

As far as learning goes, I know that marijuana can help you tap into old memories better and your brain learns how to function in the present, without much of a short term memory. This is why I feel marijuana is good for the brain, its almost like an exercise, living out the present, with memories, thoughts and ideas from the past. I know im not alone when I used to get really high with a low tolerance, and sometimes you have this moment of instant clarity into the past, and its like a slap in the face because you remember how everything was, the smell, the atmosphere, faces and even minute details of an old memory, or friend that you would never in a million years think of when you were sober.

5. I find that when it comes to studying high, it doesn't affect my learning that much I just need to study a little harder than I would sober. For example if I have to study 5 hours for an exam while I'm sober to get an A, I would have to study about 7 hours while high to get an A.

One last thing. IF you are going to study high, you MUST take the test high. It is absolutely non-negotiable and vice versa if you study sober you MUST take the test sober. It's just we better remember stuff when were in the same "state of mind" or something.

6. it helps me to focus on what im writing about- and especially in art and theory essays. but idk about memory, it hasnt really been tested yet has it? its still a bit of a myth, i think. however i may be wrong lol :)

7. Liqweed said it.

I think doing things high is harder on the short term memory so the brain handles data differently, but it works just as good, if not better.

8. It definitely helps to be in the same mind state, but it's not non-negotiable. It really depends on the subject and your own personal learning method. I'm a visual learner with a really good memory. Whether I see what I'm learning high or sober and repeat what I've seen high or sober makes very little difference.

9. I think biology has a major role in it too....could be wrongthough...

10. Short term memory is mental abstraction man

Distracting really...

When it comes down to it we all say what we feel

When we don't we hide behind the shadow of someone else's/something thing else's words which robs you of "you" and makes you second rate

Take the test high Get high scores and vice versa ;)

Its all in the now

Short term memory is baggage

Thats whats marijuana teaches us and rightfully does for us :p

11. I skip the short team memory bullshit and download that mother fucker straight to my long term. Fuck that whole remembering something for ~7 seconds nonsense. :smoke:

12. Research shows that things go from short-term to long-term memory during the first hours of sleep if I remember rightly, so you have to factor in weed's affect on that too if you're talking about say, learning a piece of information today and recalling it tomorrow or later.

MelT