Still trying to figure this out...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by typicalsmoker89, May 20, 2011.

1. So, I have never planted or grown anything yet and I"ve been looking at the life cycle of the "regular" flowers around me (the ones from mothers day and the ones that were in the house before that, as well as the plants that have been around the house for years now)... and I'm still confused about the life cycle of the marijuana plant and at what points you're suppose to do what.

Like how long does germination exactly last for? When does the germination phase stop?

When does vegging officially begin and when does it end? How long should it regularly last?

same kind of timing questions for flowering.

I have seen a lot of different things said about the vegetation state so that one confuses me the most. Hopefully you guys can help me clear this up with a couple other questions I may come up with

2. Sounds like you need to read some books on growing man...

I don't know much about germination because I start from clones. Vegging begins soon after germination...The plant will focus growth to leaves and stems..later on preflowers. Vegging is done under 18/6 light, or 24/0 light.
    Flowering starts when you want it to start. Change the light to 12/12 and the plant will naturally shift to flower. It will stop focusing so much on the leaves and stems and more on the flowers/sex parts. :)

3. I've been reading a whole lot, I just wsa hoping there would be a more definitive periods but I suppose since there are so many different genetics now and different strains, they all act and grow differently no matter what.

4. Yeah man.
    Start with seed: Get some seeds, germinate them with a paper towel. Plant them once the stem is coming out. Set lighting to 18/6 or 24/0. Use Veg nutes and RO water at the right pH. Keep growing them like this until you feel they reached the height you like. Indicas generally grow 2x in size during flowering and Sativas can get up to 3x as big.
    Once they hit the right veg height, change your light schedule to 12/12 and use flowering nutes. I'd recommend using just the nutes and the water during the first 4 weeks. After that, you can use any additives you feel you wanna use.
    Harvest when you like the look of the trichromes.
    All trichromes clear = not ready yet. all cloudy white - 100% headhigh. all amber - 100% body high. 50/50 is a 50/50 high. :)

5. Right right. Alright so I guess there is really nothing else for me to know then. I am considering growing indoors and I know that it takes a hell of a lot more work than growing out - and so.. if I have a small area in general, I would veg for a short period of time (until the plant is about a foot or a foot and a half) then switch to 12/12 ?

Is the best time to harvest from the indication of the trichomes a mix between cloudy white and amber?

6. I would say so yeah. If you get an indica and you have lets say....3 ft of room to work with: veg the plant until they're...1 ft tall. :) If you're doing a sativa veg until its like 8 inches tall :D Keep in mind you gotta make sure the plants don't get TOO close to the lighting...

And you can harvest whenever you want man. Its all your preference...if you want a headhigh or a couchlock or half...people harvest at their own times. As long as you dont harvest too early when they're not ready or too late that the thc isn't at a very high concentration...You'll need one of those 30x microscopes to see the trichromes. You can get one at a local hydro store/plant store.:)

7. Thanks again bro.

So I can force a plant to veg immediately from seed by putting it under 12/12 lighting right?

I think equipment wise if I go indoors CFL's will have to be used.

8. yup. You can use CFL, LED, MH...whichever...
    Check out my grow, I veg with FL and LED and flower with 1,000w HPS. :)

9. I'll check it out. Hopefully I'll be able to start growing for as cheap as I possibly can. I'm thinking of going the hempy buckets route, starting my seedlings in jeffy pellets.

10. Nice man! I'm gonna cut some clones and I've seen awesome results using Rapid Rooters...

11. What are Rapid Rooters? And secondly, I wanted to know if there is anything close to like a seed network in the US

12. Rapid Rooters are these plugs that you put your seed in and help germinate and grow. You can get em at a hydro store. Seed network?

13. Yeah, lol. Like I'm sure in Cali with the medical dispensaries and such there are people who exchange seeds without the use or necessity of a seedbank. I was hoping I could be able to connect with enough people to either find people with extra seeds willing to share, or something of that nature.

14. Probably go to a dispensary and buy seeds/clones there. Maybe craigslist but you must have a doc rec....:)

15. Ohh I get what you're saying. Well, personally I don't trust anyone around my grow man. :) I'm a patient and a caregiver for others and I need to make sure my medication is as good as I can make it and as safe and helpful as I can make it.

16. Lol, of course of course. I would not and do not plan on trusting anyone around my grow either. I'm just a bum of a weedsmoker and looking to get some good strains of seeds from the generosity of other veteran growers who have been doing this for a long time and have a large collection they are willing to share.

Plus people give up green for differing reasons, so you never know if there was a network like this started in the US... we could start having our own underground bean bank lol. I think it would be great, being sent a few strains you would have never bought yourself, etc. etc.

Thats the whole thought process behind it anyway.

17. Ohh, I didn't know that man. :)

18. No problem. That's why I had to explain it! I would love to get something like this actually going. How hard do you think it would be?