Stephen Colbert stays in character at congressional hearing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Iceni Toker, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Pew Research Center

ACLU probably has some things to say... I could find thousands of people more qualified than Colbert to discuss immigration. People are starving to death and killing in order to come over here.... I just dont see that as a laughing matter

IDONTSMOKEBLUNT.....Ill counter his negative rep ;) +1 for you!

2. I honestly can't believe how freaking tightly wound some people are. I understand people not thinking it was appropriate for him to testify or not caring for his particular brand of humor....it is the complete absurdity of some of the arguments presented that are beyond comprehension.

I suppose you have to admire the dedication to angry rhetoric that it takes however to actually get offended by someone making a tiny joke about the deficit (or debt or whatever) in a thread about a comedian, or to actually cry out about the ten minutes or so that this took out of the congressmen's day. :rolleyes:

3. You're right, I did kinda contradict my analogy huh. I'm not mad though. My analogy was poor, I'll admit that. What I don't get is why people are so upset with Colbert. Clearly stupid shit, which is just as pointless goes on in congress all the time, it just doesn't get this kind of attention.

I will apologize for the neg rep because that was out of line. I should of neg repped myself because I can't get things out of my mind the way I want to right now ;).
    I mean they should have stopped him prior to him even being there. His intent was pretty clear from the get go before the hearing started. If enough people wanted him to stop I'm sure he would have been stopped.

Congress invited a joke, a joke happened, congress got mad.

By the way JamesUNT. Rep doesn't go by 1. You can't counter my rep. :)

4. Let me just simplify it for you Goodgirl... Hopefully you will get it. Illegal immigration is not funny. He has a forum to tell his jokes everynight on his show. Congress makes REAL laws. Yes... no? I hope yes

5. He never said illegal immigration was funny... Where are you getting that from? Congress makes real laws? Like making marijuana illegal? Sometimes the laws they make are just as much of a joke as Colbert's segment on the floor.

For the record, the way congress has been dealing with illegal immigrants is a joke. I guess you're missing that point though?

6. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Colbert was only invited by one Rep... not all of Congress.

Hell, if I was working in Congress, and I was there to better the U.S., I would be extremely pissed off if my time was wasted having to watch Colbert crack his jokes on my time.

The point is, if people wanted to watch Colbert, they could turn on his TV show. I don't expect to turn on CSPAN and see Colberts face staring back at me.

Yes, olesmoky, you're correct that Congress is a joke nowadays.

7. OK then, what was he trying to say Olesmoky? What was he there for? Oh and yes, Marijuana being illegal is a real law whether you agree with it or not.

8. The way I took it he was saying what people have been saying for years. If somebody else could do those jobs for less they would. If nobody paid those people to do those jobs they wouldn't be here... So quit blaming the people who are working hard, and start blaming the people who are paying them. As he said, "This seems like one of the least powerful people in the united states are migrant workers who come and do our work but don't have any rights as a result and yet we still invite them to come here, and at the same time ask them to leave.".

Yeah its a real law I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying some of the 'real laws' are a joke.

9. Congress makes laws,and yes, clearly they're "real" as we have to obey them,doesn't mean that they benefits us,the American people.Illegal immigration is not the problem,them not paying taxes is the problem.I don't have a problem with illegal immigrates wanting to better themselves as long as their paying taxes,which ultimately betters society as a whole.It's not even anyone's land to began with,not even the Indians, which migrated from Asian through the ice bridge to get to America.

10. If we want them to pay taxes then we better pay them minimum wage.

11. well of course,it's not like doctors are crossing the border :laughing:

12. I mean we should pay them at least minimum wage. That, and if we want them to pay taxes they better get the same benefits as any other minimum wage employee.

13. yeah,it's the right thing to do :)

14. I am against illegal immigration, so that automatically makes me a racist?

Honestly, I don't blame them for trying to illegally come here but illegal immigration IS negatively affecting our country in one way or another. And let's face it, when it comes down to it it's an 'us or them' situation and in times like this, we need to save our own hides.

Guess I should put on my helmet for the neg feedback on this...

15. Hehe, of course you did. The people who are working hard are drawing more in taxes than they are producing. That is not sustainable. If they are such hard workers, why not turn Mexico into the next America instead of coming here?

16. yeah?why don't we just conquer Mexico?we should just walk in and take over the place,but if they resist,then we'll just nuke them and if we nuke them,we wouldn't need to worry about immigration because we killed them all :D

perfect plan,broham
    :laughing:
    i'm just kidding :laughing:

17. You realize a lot of our work is outsourced in Mexico too right? We're using them in an attempt to make our country better without benefiting them nearly as much as they deserve.

I'm all for keeping illegal immigrants out of the country. The people who are here legally though, they need to be paid minimum wage on par with other Americans, as well as pay taxes, but if they do that they need to receive the same benefits as well. This goes for anyone working for an American company in my opinion. I'm sick of using and abusing human beings for the benefit.

18. Of course, every one of OUR citizens should get minimum wage. Illegals should get nothing. This is not a talk about outsourcing. They can deny these corporations, They don't have to work. They do not have our minimum wage

19. The outsourcing comment was in reply to you wanting Mexico to become it's own America. They can deny these corporations and refuse to work, you're right... Thank you for helping me buddy bear. We're asking them to work for us and do our jobs for us? This is about Americans wanting those jobs for themselves and complaining about outsourcing and migrant workers. Americans don't want those jobs for such little pay though, so if they want to compete with the outsourcing and migrant work they need to lower their own wages. They don't want to do that though, so they only way to make it fair is to increase the pay of the Mexicans and give them the same benefits so the jobs are fair competition. Otherwise Americans need to quit complaining about not getting those same jobs that the Mexicans do for so much less.

20. :( Nobody is talking about nuking everyone....

However, If our military invaded their country, we could stop their drug cartels quick. The question is do the Mexicans want that large influx of funding from drug sales to cease? hmmmm