Stem is a little odd

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by StevieRay22, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Ok so first post. I found a seed in one of my bags that I had picked up. I germinated it and it sprouted and I recently planted it in a solo cup. I had to leave for a few days to see my mother and I had left it in a smaller cup of water but when I got back my sprout or stem had actually fallen over. It still looks healthy but I used a pen and some cotton to hold it up and I have it under 2 25 watt bulbs (the ones you would find around the house). Never thought of growing before and just said whatever and gave it a shot. Its not going to be a catastrophe if it dies so im not worried. Does anyone have an tips besides throw it away?

2. Not enough light

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. Should I get a higher watt bulb?

4. Your using cfl correct? If so Tha actual wattage is what you go off not the comparison same for led 35-100 actual wattage per plant

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Its a incandescent light bulb. Its really just to see if I can actually grow it but the bulbs are around a little more than a foot from the plant. I didnt actually expect it to sprout since the bag was a few months old

6. Unfortunately you're not gonna get much, if anything out of that light. If cash is a prob, just upgrade to a couple 6500k cfls for veg and try pick up a cheap led or some 2700k for flowering. Try for as close to 100w per plant as possible.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. Could putting it in my window work? Just leaving my window open so it can get sun and air?

8. Dude, it'll defs help if you get direct sunlight to your window. I would try supplimenting the light with a cfl or two. They're really cheap to buy and easy as anything to set up. Literally just buy a socket, bulb, cable and plug.

9. I get sun to my window all day so ill set it up there. Thank you for the help and ill look into some cfl's. But should I leave my ac on? Its gonna be almost 90 tomorrow

10. That should make the world of difference and I'm sure you'll notice it quickly. Get temps constant as close to 80 as possible. Happy to help where I can

11. Ok I forgot to mention how thin the stem actually is. Its anywhere from 0.5mm to 1mm. I could write with a 0.7mm pen and the line would be thicker than the stem. Poor little guy is just growing in height and killing itself.

12. That's all down to the lack of lighting. You can support it with a splint or bury the stem a bit but it will recover with some more light

13. If you do opt to bury the stem just defoliate the leaves that you plan on burying as roots will start growing out of the buried stem

14. Ok so with what little knowledge I have and from your advice I have buried about half of the stem because it had grown to about 4.5in and I have placed it in direct sunlight in my window. [​IMG]
    It looks very similar to this yet the stem is alot thinner and there are only two visible oval shaped leaves. Should I expect a change and if I should, when?

15. Should do the trick. The oval leaves are the cotelydon leaves. Those will yellow and fall off naturally. Nothing to worry about. Everything after that should be 'true' leave sets (jagged).

16. You'll notice the stem start to thicken over the next week or so, and the gaps between new leaf sets will become much shorter. Referred to as internodal space. If you can get a small usb powered fan to blow over the plant it'll also help alot to strengthen the stem

17. You need at least a cfl curly que light right now. 2-4" from the plant. It'll stop that stretching. 18 hours at least of light per day. But you'll need a lot more to finish the plant. 3-400 dollars to grow it out, get a yield that you can smoke from, and not stink out your whole neighborhood. Unfortunately it costs some money to do this. Outdoor is less than indoors. But it's late in the year now. Flower time is coming assuming you're US. If you just grow it out to see you'll get next to nothing. Literally. Like a bowl pack or two for months of work.

18. #19 StevieRay22, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    I honestly dont think its even going to make it to next week. Where the stem reaches the cotelydon leaves its bent and its a slight brown. If it begins to flower I will be surprised and ill bring it to my uncle who grows. (Like he grows alot. 5-6 plants that are over 5'5" with huge buds) So if it works ill throw it over to him and have him take care of it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I honestly dont think its even going to make it to next week. Where the stem reaches the cotelydon leaves its bent and its a slight brown. If it begins to flower I will be surprised and ill bring it to my uncle who grows. (Like he grows alot. 5-6 plants that are over 5'5" with huge buds) So if it works ill throw it over to him and have him take care of it for me.