Steam

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by FoxMulder, Feb 4, 2012.

1. How many of you play any games on steam and what do you play currently?

Currently i am playing DC Universe online because a few of my other friends are doing so too and we have a League together. Im a pretty badass female villian. You dont wanna be caught by me in an alley way trying to save some pedestrians.

2. I would be willing to bet that 90% of the people who browse this section use steam; the rest are xbox 360 owners.

I currently play cs source. But that's until cs go comes out. I've been playing cs on and off for 10 years and it is definitely my go-to game. I play COD sometimes but that's only when I need to be reminded how great of a game cs is. Gave BF3 a spin and the maps are just too big for the game. I spend the first 30 seconds of each spawn trying to find people, then I get blinded by a flashlight about a thousand meters out, then I die. They need smaller, more fast paced styled games which I am sure they have; I just haven't found them yet because I spend all my time on cs and Origin sucks asshole hairs.

3. I hate this steam thing, how come I have to launch my internet connection just to play Skyrim :confused::smoke:

4. M&B Warband, not online however. wizball, mabye because u have DLC?

5. Don't have DLC but since the patch a while ago the offline connect does not work and I have to connect to the internet.

First time I've seen this Steam thing, my buddy installed Skyrim on my machine because his rig wont play it.

What is the point to this Steam thing? My version is on dvd, I don't want to have to use this program.

6. #7 uddnejfe, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
    lol its great if you download the app to your pc or mac and try to buy games only from steam, then there is no discs and also a game will run smoother when it's downloaded rather than booted from a disc. plus around holidays steam has amazing deals, i got left for dead for 5 USD maybe less

have you tried starting in online mode and switching to offline? maybe there is something about it on the steam forums

7. [quote name='"bljamman89"']

lol its great if you download the app to your pc or mac and try to buy games only from steam, then there is no discs and also a game will run smoother when it's downloaded rather than booted from a disc. plus around holidays steam has amazing deals, i got left for dead for 5 USD maybe less

have you tried starting in online mode and switching to offline? maybe there is something about it on the steam forums[/quote]

Some people prefer discs. If you buy a game on steam you don't really own it, then if you get banned you lose all your games. And games don't run faster if you download them. With discs you install it off the disc, then when you play it it verifies you own the game and runs it from your hard drive. So there's no performance difference between the two.

8. my bad man

9. you can do offline mode in options.

10. Wont launch anymore in offline mode since the patch.

Im not a fan of this Steam, I see no need :smoke:

11. FALSE PROVADOS!

You only get banned from the engine of the game you got caught cheating on.

For instance, hacking on cs 1.6 will get you banned from 1.6, day of defeat, and other hl1 engine games. Of course you can still play on unsecured servers.

But after being banned on the hl1 engine, you can still play any source engine game no problem. And any other game not on the hl1 engine.

G'day.

12. You don't...

Don't bullshit me I just tried it.

Anyways, right now mostly playing STALKER: Call of Pripyat, Skyrim, Dota 2, TF2, CSS, Portal 2, Bastion.

13. Mine will not launch in offline mode since the patch that came out a while ago that fixed the RAM problems.

So if my internet goes down then I can't play. These games come out before they are finished these days IMO, I had to download over 4GB of crap before it would even launch.

14. There are game specific bans, but there has also been people that have had their steam account disabled, causing them to lose all their games.

Valve Disables Steam Account, Won't Explain Why - The Consumerist
    Thought: Do We Own Our Steam Games? | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

15. Well like I said, I just tried mine. I exited steam, disconnected from the net, launched steam again and straight away had the option to go into offline mode, did that and launched Skyrim, worked fine and I have the most up to date version of everything.

16. Strange its still not working offline for me, I select offline but it still throws an error up saying that it can't connect. Im running it on 64bit windows 7.

Hadn't been on it for a few days so it did another update last night of about 120MB, still not working for me unless I connect to the internet first. No biggie but like I said, if my internet goes down then I wont be able to play it here.

17. I have steam, but the only game i have on there is hl2...and counterstrike.....have bought anything else since hl2 came out.

18. Half-Life 2 is pretty bad ass.