Steam Machine

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by The Incredible, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Thoughts on this? 300 Beta testers were shipped different versions of the "Steam Machine" this month using the steam OS to compete with the other consoles.

I had my mind set on buying a PS4 but after watching the videos so far on this console I've been thinking about getting one. Parts can be upgraded, you can install your own OS on it and basically do whatever you want since it's basically a gaming computer but idk I think it would be a good thing for people like me who dont really wanna build their own computer and all that

a lot of people hating on the controlling but I love how it looks and the idea of it but i guess you never know till you try it out

2. This is the first time I've seen the controller. Hard to judge how comfortable it'd be to use without actually trying it, but it seems like it could get pretty tiresome for your thumbs. 

I'm assuming that you could use an Xbox controller as well though? For Steam games that already have controller support, I mean. If so, this thing might dominate the other consoles... just because of the Steam store. 

3. #3 The Incredible, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
    yeah they dont think this will be the final product because some are complaining about there being like no weight to it and the buttons on the back but i hope they go with that kind of joy stickless idea and id imagine someone would find a way to be able to connect their xbox controller but idk if the mapping of the buttons and shit would be weird for it? idk

only thing im gonna miss out on is playing Watch Dogs... was really lookin forward to it

4. hmm i'm really interested in how these consoles/computers perform and feel.. would definitely consider this as an option because i'm extremely underwhelmed by ps4's and Xbones.

5. #5 The Incredible, Dec 16, 2013
    well they should perform like a computer haha but it doesnt seem like testers have had any problems or anything yet. Given it's only been a couple days but apparently every bit of hardware is separately cooled to prevent over heating.

I guess they are saying they dont want anyone to come up with any exclusives for the steam machine 

6. LMAO valve needs to stay in their lane forreal. Trying to compete with xbox and playstation is like bing vs google

Sent from my Prism using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. there is no competition between PC & console

its a landslide victory 

This is just a more living room oriented PC that is all in one ready to go

8. Prices are gonna range from about 600-1500 and if the lower end models can play the games that are offered then I think i'm gonna go with that. I've always been a console person just for convenience of not having to build it myself lol but it's obvious that PC > console but still can't stand those that go into console discussions and rant about how PC is better but now I guess you kinda can? haha idk if this really counts as a console

9. #9 The Incredible, Dec 16, 2013
    Why? People believe consoles are underpowered and since consoles are basically PCs that get outdated after the first couple months why not put a new "console" on the market that can be upgraded to a high end PC.

This is a good thing for consoles because now Microsoft and Sony might have to match their ingenuity and possibly have the next gen be upgradeable

If these "machines" catch on and work well, they could destroy xbox/playstation simply because of the Steam library. No yearly subscription fees, new games for $20 or less during the numerous sales, tons of mods/community support... plus, if you want to play old games: no problem (consoles can't play games from previous "generations" unless they're re-released).

I meant games that already do have controller support. Just about every recent PC game that also came out on consoles (and even many PC exclusives) offers controller support on PC, so I assume it'd work the same on these "machines" since they're essentially pre-built PCs anyway.

11. I'd imagine you'd even be able to mouse and keyboard it as well as plug a Xbox controller in since it uses the Steam store. Nearly all of those games are already mapped for Xbox controllers anyway.

And no worries man, you'll be able to still play Watch Dogs as it'll be a PC release too.

I've really been into these things lately, Valve is gonna be dominating. Best part is, they're actually a GOOD company that pays attention to gamers and the industry.

Of course you can use a mouse & kb, its a pc

Yes, OP seemed unsure.

14. Yeah, I had seen a video where someone had hooked up their steam machine to a computer screen and had a keyboard hooked up to it but I guess i just had a blonde moment and forgot that the games could already be mapped for the xbox controller.

15. #15 BuffetCrayfish3, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
    [quote name="Marijuana Malice" post="19174271" timestamp="1387223358"]LMAO valve needs to stay in their lane forreal. Trying to compete with xbox and playstation is like bing vs googleSent from my Prism using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]Obvious troll. Just ignore it, this is literally all I see from him in threads.I love the concept of Steam Machines and its blatantly obvious that multiple companies with manifacture their own to get in the console industry, and it brings steam to the living room for people who don't want to build a console computer. I can't wait until Steam OS supports AMD, then my custom computer will be a Steam Machine. :DSent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. I heard this things supposed to have games like arma ready to go day 1 release.. Steam box'll definitely shit on Xbox/ps4

Sent from my XT1058 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. The new consoles are basically pcs that aren't upgradeable. This is basically the same thing, just upgradeable. This is for people who don't want something as user friendly as an XB1 or PS4 but something more customizable. I mean really fucken customizable and with with a similar form factor.

I take it this is also geared towards people who might not necessarily want to build their own "steam box" since you can easily build your own right now. Steam OS is out for download, though it's still in beta and you might not want to use it unless you're familiar with linux.

18. I think Steam Boxes will be moderately successful, but that their shortcomings, which are ultimately the very nature of the beast, will prevent a takeover. An Xbox 360 bought at launch 8 years ago can still play GTA v, a game that came out this year. A computer that came out 8 years ago may not even be able to play a game that came out at the same time that it did. Especially if you spent as much on the computer as you did your Xbox 360 ($300-$400). You can always upgrade your Steam Box/computer with new components, but many people don't want to bother with that. They just want to buy, plug in, play and not worry about buying a new console for a few years. That's not to say that there isn't a market for this type of product, there very clearly is, but I think it remains to be seen how big it truly is. Valve is smart, they're not going to do something without proper research. They either expect to change the market (and people) completely, or they expect a moderate success, but nothing like truly replacing a game console. Honestly, the latter is much more likely and I bet many at Valve expect that.If were being honest, I hope I'm completely wrong. I hope Valve completely changes things. I split my gaming time between a PS3 and an expensive multimedia laptop I bought for college. My dream is to have a gaming tower hooked up to my TV. At some point, that dream will be realized, regardless if I'm in the market for a Steam Box or not at that time.

19. I strongly believe this will be the last generation of true stand alone consoles. I think that it is inevitable that PC's are making the move to the couch, and not in a bad way. You can still have a hardcore workstation or gaming rig but it's much more accessible as a home entertainment system, which it always has been but no we're really seeing the push forward to make it a center point. If anyone can do it, it's Steam. I remember being skeptical of the system and being worried about feeling locked down when Steam first hit, now I couldn't imagine using any other platform and am annoyed if I'm forced to use anything else.

Were at a point where PC is so far ahead of consoles that they can never catch up. It's not the 32-64 bit days anymore. We're pushing 4k resolution, infinity, 3D and TSAA x4 where both PS4 and Xbone are lacking even Triliniar. We've hit the point where it is no longer viable to play on Ultra setting on max resolution, it use to be very possible on even the most high end machine but even multiple Titans cannot run 1440p Max.

Consoles are basically limited PC's on a limited OS. You will still have your plug and play, on the couch experience but the platform is changing.

20. im very interested in this. ive been wanting to build a gaming pc for a while but dont have the money or knowledge. it depends on the price if i'll get one.