Stealth closet rubbermaid growbox!!! (pics)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Ayron, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Hey GC this is my first grow box ive ever built :eek: i have four plants vegging already and i'll be going to 12/12 soon so they stay small, they are around 2-3 inches so far. my grow box is made from:
    -20 gallon plastic storage container
    -4 100w CFL lights (2 daylight and 2 soft white)
    -1 power strip i attached to a piece of wood, the lights are attached using two Y sockets (idk what the correct term is)
    -1 small fan

this box sits in the back of my closet and being stealth is the key :cool: everything is going fine right now except i have a heat issue inside the box, the temp is usually 90*F with the lid open and over 100*F with the lid closed.
    I already have a small 1" holy cut for the power cord to go through and i know this isnt enough oxygen intake and i need to add an exhaust fan. The problem is idk what to do for an exhaust fan :confused:
    I have a light timer somewhere and ill be running the lights at night when theres a much lesser chance someone will be in my room :rolleyes:

so what do ya think of my stealthiness? constructive criticism is welcomed :wave:

Attached Files:

2. i hope those are some autoflower or something small, that's not much space. those temps are out of wack. you need to get a small computer fan, two would be better. one for intake one for exhaust. the intake fan should be close to the bottom of the container and ehaust fan closer to the top (where heat rises). do that and your temps will drop.
    if you dont know how to wire a computer fan here is a nice guide.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/370802-wiring-computer-fan-s-run-120v-c.html

3. they are bag seed from the strongest weed with seeds i've ever had. i plan on starting the flowering stage as soon as i find my light timer. Ill look into using a computer fan for the exaust, i plan on putting it into the lid :)

4. This looks like a neat grow man. Any news or progress reports?
    i'm interested in getting back to growing again and this is similar but superior to what I used to start mine off last time.

5. Hey there! I have actually done the same thing with a rubbermaid box in my room. I am currently trying to save some plants from my father-in-law. I will post some pics up soon to let u see my setup. Nicely done. Also, the 6500k bulbs are best for veg so you should get 2 more of those and 2 more 2700k bulbs for flowering so you have 4 daylights then when flowering you have 4 softs

6. Hey, I hate to rain on your parade, but those look like 100watt equivalent bulbs, am I right? The setup looks fine, but the temps will ensure stunted growth. I would try taking care of that before you flower. good luck mang

7. Update!!!! I've kept the plants outside while ive been working on the growbox and they've began flowering and i have three females :hello::hello::hello: and the other one died suddenly before i could determine sex
    ill post pics in a little

8. very curious to see how it will turn out. good luck!

9. Hey I've used the same grow box as you! :)

If you need more height you can cut just about the whole top of the lid and the bottom of a second rubber-maid container and place foil from the first ones top, around the lid, and into the second containers bottom and duct tape it tight. Both of them will be stuck together, no light will seep out, and you will have double the space because when you start flowering you will need it.

I mostly used the top container for light-distance or my plant would have burned.

10. PICS!!! :eek:

Attached Files:

11. #11 Ayron, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
    Update!!! I added a 12v computer fan to the top of my box to suck some of the hot air out. Ive finally got the temp stabilized around 90* with the lights on and 78 with them off. this seems a little too high for my liking and ill probably be able to solve the heat issue with another computer fan acting as an intake. I wired the computer fan to an old cell phone charger with a 3.2v output, is this to low for a 12v fan? I plan on updating this regularly too
    Here are some pics of the ladies as of today with a few pics of the nugget im volcanoing atm :D

Attached Files:

12. I need to start giving them nutrients, the plants have signs of nutrient deficiencies adn hopefully my light timer adjustments didn't stress the girls too much

13. not sure if you fixed it by now but the inside of that green box needs to be painted. Green absorbs red and blue light this is why plants are green. having the inside of your box green means that you are loosing the most light possible. would be like drinking through a straw make out of sponge. your only getting what couldn't be lost. Even your plants are telling you this by having light green/yellowish leaves.

14. not sure if you fixed it by now but the inside of that green box needs to be painted. Green absorbs red and blue light this is why plants are green. having the inside of your box green means that you are loosing the most light possible. would be like drinking through a straw make out of sponge. your only getting what couldn't be lost. Even your plants are telling you this by having light green/yellowish leaves.

15. thanks dude :) ill get them white asap :D

16. You could also duct tape foil all over the inside. And you're gonna need some good ventilation for it. When I had 2 42w lights without ventilation in two rubber maid containers the temperature was at around 120 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour or so and if I left it it would have been fucked. Heat can build up pretty quickly is what I'm trying to say.

Good job though! :smoking:

17. I have a light timer somewhere and ill be running the lights at night when theres a much lesser chance someone will be in my room

to be honest it'll be better if you had the lights on the same time the sun is out, if your worried about ppl coming in and busting u, then idk move ur growbox, from the looks of it all hiddin and shit its looks good....one will never kno huh.

but if you have ur lites on the same time as the sun is out, then ur plants can also use the moon to grow, it helps.....other then that basic third grade science is all one needs to grow mj

goodluck with the growin bro:bongin:

18. My room gets really hot during the day, mostly cause of all the electronics running in my room and living in an area where its pretty much summer 3/4ths of the year, so having the lights on at night helps keep my room a little bit cooler in my opinion :)
    Also i like being home when my lights are on cause im a little paranoid about my closet catching on fire lol (my house burned down when i was younger)

19. I think i just fried the powerstrip the lights were connected to :eek: I'll have to check on it in the mornign but it doesnt look good :(

20. I replaced the power strip and streamlined my setup a bit. I didnt have any white paint or mylar at hand so i taped white sheets of paper on the inside of the walls and mounted the exhaust fan to the lid and took the lights and mounted them to the top of the box as well :cool:

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      752.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      454.1 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1