Stealing: A victimless crime?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by bahookahjoe18, Nov 25, 2011.

1. becouse you are taking something from someone by the use of force.
    even if he never finds out, he is not giving it to you voluntarily.

2. I think if you're stealing from people, breaking into houses and stealing personal belongings and stuff is immoral and wrong. However, I see no problem with stealing from the big corporations such as wal-mart and what not. Steal from the rich and give to the poor, don't steal from the poor and give to yourself..my thoughts on the subject.

3. No force necessary. He doesn't even try to stop James.

4. I mean if the thief needs some food from Walmart because he has no money for food isn't really bad because it doesn't affect Walmart but it helps out the thief

5. I think breaking into houses and stealing stuff is wrong too. The family will notice the broken window or the broken door knob. They'll notice the missing TV that they saved up three months worth of wages to buy. They'll feel sad, and they'll feel wronged.

Farmer Smith didn't even know he had those eggs.

6. A person should be compensated for its effort/time. If they took the time to make a product or build a business than yes it is inmoral to steal from them.

However we don't really live in a free market. We have crony capitalism where there are HUGE monopolies and those corporations lobby for regulations to keep the competition down. In that case then I say it is probably ok...

I'd also like to see Walmart go down...

7. but, but.. i thought corporations were people too

8. Farmer Smith may not have known that he had those eggs but how did James know that? In James mind his intentions were to steal, with ill intent. James didn't know that he wasn't hurting the farmer by stealing those couple extra eggs, therefore he went into the act with full intentions on stealing from the farmer. I don't know if what I'm trying to say is getting across..James didnt know the eggs were extras, He didn't care really, He just wanted the eggs for personal gain, therefore ill intentions. Of course, all things are situational, so what applies here may not somewhere else.

9. Farmer Smith is getting 200% profit for each dozen eggs sold. He paid for his chickens long ago, as well as their coop and laying boxes. He did just buy 200 egg cartons, which cost him $20.
    Farmer Smith will sell each dozen eggs for $2.50. 60 dozen x $2.50 is $150. Subtract his egg cartons, $130. It took him three hours to collect, clean, and sort the eggs. Three hours of work for $130 is $43.33 per hour.

And James gets a free dozen eggs.

10. What if James did know that Farmer Smith didn't know how many eggs he had, and knew that he wasn't endangering his welfare in any manner? Does the same principle apply?

11. If the "crime" is victimless, such as the case you describe here, then no I don't feel the same principle applies. I still feel it's wrong to steal from people but the world is a cold place and sometimes you just got to do what you got to do. ya know?

12. James doesn't need these eggs either. He's not hungry, and he has well over the $2.50 that the eggs are usually sold for. He just wants them for free.

13. Depends on who you're stealing from and what you're stealing.
    A person. Yes. I think it's immoral because I wouldn't like anything to be stolen from me and neither would you.
    A company. Ehh. I may or may have done it on several occasions in my younger years. No skin off their backs. But doesn't the money lost from stolen products get replaced by the tax payers money? Not sure..

14. Well then, I guess it's immoral, but who's going to stop him? And if nobodies hurt by it then I guess where's the harm? It's natural human instinct to steal. We are just taught by society that it's "wrong", we're taught to suppress the inner voice inside saying "comon man, just grab it and run, noone will catch you.." Stealing is like saying FUCK YOU to society, you are not held down by the law, you are not held down by rules, you are free, in a sense, and that's dangerous to a society.

15. This would be a much easier topic if morality wasn't so subjective. But like you said, "where's the harm?"

If there is no harm then I don't think it is "wrong."

16. [quote name='"bahookahjoe18"']

I need to better define my thoughts.

Stealing, of physical or digital nature, is not a crime if the one being stolen from is, in every sense, unaware of the theft.[/quote]

So it's legal if you don't get caught

17. Indeed it would be. If it helps I don't think of morals too much, this world is most certainly NOT a moral place, so why live in such a way that doesnt coincide with your surroundings?

18. It's not a question of legality. It's a question of morality.

19. But if those were your eggs would you like it if someone else stole them? That is the question.

20. Would I even notice? That's the question.