Starting seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Cameron11j, Jan 25, 2017.

1. I've herd that there are different ways to germinate seeds, some say to put in water and wait for a sprout and some say to just use a damp paper towel, I want the best for them, but there are tons of different ways to do it, any suggestions on a good way to do it or the best way!? Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. i usually just soak the seeds over night in tepid water ,,,,next day plant straight in to planting mix with 33% perlite added for drainage ,water around a thimble full or spray water around them each day but dont soak the soil/ just moisten ,put in warn place in a week or so they will start popping their heads above the surface ,,plus if they are slow starting dont go digging around looking for them in the soil else you'll break the tap root ,,,,,,mac.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Half fill a standard nursery 3x3x3 inch cup with mild soil.. When the seedling stretches and most do you can add more soil to support the floppy stem rather then trying a stick and string..
    Don't use a solo cup as they fall over to easy and are to deep.. Square pots promote better root branching and have more soil for the same space as a round one
    [​IMG]
    3x3s and 5x5 inch pots
    BNW

4. OP: This is what you'll learn after reading different books, spending time reading forum posts and experiencing a lot of failures by yourself.
    Count on his words and you won't regret ;)
    +rep mac

• Like Like x 2
  5. warmth and a wet paper towel is all you need. if they dont sprout in 2 days, they probably wont be strong plants. This allows you to select the most viable seeds. Every time you need to re-pot a seedling it puts them into shock which they must recover from before they start growing again.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I use the paper towel method, very simple it might be a bit slower, but hasn't failed me yet. I place a yet paper towel in a zip lock bag, and place the seed on top of the paper towel, I don't fold it over that way the root doesn't grow into the paper towel, a take out some air, seal it then I put it in a warm dark place upside down so the paper towel is on top of the seed, after 3-4 days it usually long enough tap root to plant, and 2-4 days after that it will be above ground! Keep the soil moist not soaked, let it dry out almost completely periodically to stimulate drought conditions this allows the roots to grow out in search of water, once the roots fill out, you'll notice much faster growth above the soil.

7. You only need to wait until the seed begins to crack open. If you wait until the tap root forms you stand the risk of damaging the microscopic root hairs that are forming. The seed has a finite amount of energy to expend on finding gravity and determining which way is up. It is best to do that in the soil, not in a paper towel.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I put mine directly into the soil and it germinated just fine.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yeah true enough, but that's also why I don't fold my paper towel over my seed, I'm not letting them get huge maybe a little longer then my finger nail. Never had any issues although doesn't mean it won't ever happen! I'll pop one in next time when I see it start to crack open to compare. Thank for looking out!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soak seed about 12 hours. 18-24 too long. Drop 1cm into moist peat pod. Voila.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. Soak seeds 24 hours
    Place in soil with saran wrap over the top
    Of container

Place under lights and 2-3 days later always have a sprout

12. In addition, when you put the seeds in the soil, place them "pointy end down" and no more than 1/2 inch deep. I use a Ticonderoga pencil eraser as my depth gauge. When you water the seed for the first time it will sink a little further.

13. I was just trying to help the OP.

Think I got seed germination covered.
    20170122_144847.jpg 20170122_144824.jpg

14. It's def not rocket science....but it's good to know the reasons behind it all.

Attached Files:

15. Nope it's nature, I could toss the seed in the air like a quater, and let it land, cover it up, and I bet you it will grow. Cannabis isnt a domesticated plant, it's wild, and in some places indigenous you can bet every seed doesn't fall perfect. Yet genes within the plant know which direction to grow. It is good to place them point down because this give the shell a sort of sling shot as it emerges from the soil so the shell is more likely to come off on it's own.

16. I like to give them every advantage I can. Happy Plant, Happy Life.