starting seeds

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by .HiGhGuY., Dec 28, 2006.

1. Hey, i am trying to grow in a hydroponics setup for the first time. I'm having trouble getting the seeds started. I am using rockwool cubes, and i soked them in a light nutrient solution (liquid earth) and i used the recomended strength for seedlings. the ph is between 5.5 and 6 and i have the rockwool cubes in a clear plastic container under the lights. it is warm in the grow area, and i can't get the seeds to sprout. its been about 1 1/2 weeks, and nothing yet. the seeds i'm using are about 3 years old, but i've gotten them to start in dirt before. can anyone help me out, what am i doing wrong? how long does it usually take for seeds to sprout in rockwool?

2. I was using rockwell and had the same problems so i switched to the sunleaves product. Its much easier to use.( just put the seeds in and thats it.) Im now getting allmost 100% to start. Im using a heat mat with thermostat a small dome and a 2 foot 4 bulb flo.

good luck

3. Heres a pic of the setup i use to start seeds

Attached Files:

4. Ok, first I didn't hear you say you used rockwool conditioner to pre-condition the rockwool, did you? 2nd if your ppm/tds is over 100 its to high.

Here are the instructions for getting your rockwool prepared. In a 1 gallon container or larger if needed. fill with water and add rockwool conditioner 3oz per gallon of water. Drop in rockwool and leave for 24hrs. It is very important you use rockwool conditioner and not PH adjusted water as it stablizes the rockwool. After it has set for 24hrs, rinse with pH adjusted water and then dip them into your 100ppm solution.

Remeber to begin germinating your seeds at the same time in paper towel.

5. Hi,
    I'm a few days behind you, well, more than a few days, but wondering if you have had any luck yet? I put my beans in rockwool cubes, then put them in a pot of coco, I didn't put any light on them, but the room is nice and warm, I may put somthing over them or put some soft flouro lights on them tomorrow. If I don't see anything in like 4 days, I'll try again directly in the coco. So have you had any luck yet?

6. im telling you some sunleaves super starter plugs a heat mat and dome. The whole thing will maybe cost 50.00 thats with about 50 sterter plugs. if you want to spend 30.00 more get yourself a mat thermosat. the pic is of a seed i planted saturday night and now tonight i will transplant them into bigger pots. I planted 5 seeds and all five have sprouted. The plugs are great no presoaking no bs just put the seed in when three to four roots showup then transplant. That its.

Attached Files:

7. Thanks for the tips! That cube w/root is awesome! Mine popped in 3 days and now I have two of seven with their fist set of leaves, and three up but now leaves yet.
    Hey, got a question maybe you can answer for me... Do you think this is ok? I haven't put the 600 hps lamp nor nutes yet. I think I'm gonna go ahead and just leave them with the plain ph'd water and 2 flouro lights till the other three get their first set of leaves. What do you think?

8. That what i do. The super plug has everthing they need. I just make sure theres about 1/8 inch of water in the bottom of the tray at all times.