starting late... couple questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by socket, May 18, 2007.

1. I'm getting my seeds this weekend. I'm going to germinate asap and have seedlings in solo cups for a week or two at max. No bigger then 3-4 inches before I transplant to the ground. Should I be fine for a harvest in sept or when?

Also whats my best bet for sexing my plants? I doubt I'll have the means to do early identification. So when is the optimal time to ID male planets? e.g. Late enough telling them apart is easy, but not so late that fertilization might occur.

I'm a well read newb to this. Any help would be great. Thx.

2. whats happening Socket? As far as being too late, that all depends on where you are. For me, east coast usa you would be fine. Plenty of time to beef those girls up. I would leave them in the cups for atleast a few weeks, let them get a few sets of nodes. Are you planting in pots or the ground? As far as sexing, you have some time before you can worry about that. If you have read on this forum and seen some pics of male/female plants, you will have no problem sexing them before they pollonate. Relax and enjoy the ride. Toughest part is being patient, but by Sept/Oct it will be all good. Good luck.

3. Thank you! That pretty much puts any fears I have to rest. I'm in the southeast and I'll be planting in the ground. I'm already chomping at the bit to get them in the ground, and they're not even seedlings yet. =p So I'll need to calm myself and bunker down for a long summer. Falls my time of the year anyhow. =) Thanks for the advice.

4. Just an idea, I have heard alot of growers speak of growing in pots, which are planted in the ground. That way if they need to be moved for some reason it is easier and less stressful to the plant than digging it up. As I said, patience is the key.

5. I like that idea for another less obvious reason. It'll keep your plant from getting too big and attracting unwanted attention. But this year I'm just straight transplanting into the ground. I'll be putting clusters of 2-3 plants in about a few different locations.

6. If you live in the Pacific Northwest would it be too late? The less time in cups the better for me, but I can do anything really. I am just worried it might be too late.

I'd be going from cups to the ground.

7. I did exactly that last year. A few plants in each plot is definitely the way to go. Pots aren't a bad idea - You get a smaller yield than if they were in the ground, but its easier than digging a hole sometimes. I grow on commercial/state property so I have to visit at night. This makes it difficult to dig holes without being noticed carrying a shovel or whatever. Not to mention that the ground is rock hard. I'd probably need a rototiller to loosen it up.

8. sounds good guys. ive been wanting to do an outdoor grow for a whyle on some state property if anything ill be going straight into the ground after germ. may loose a couple but im hoping for the best. stik em here and stik em there hopefully by the end of the season there will be at least half of them standing.

9. socket
    SEXING YOUR PLANTS EARLY

I have been expermenting on this very subject the past 4 months with an innovative approach to early sexing........
    in 5-6 weeks take a cutting, put the cutting in a glass of water, with 1 drop of SUPERthrive use an old CD on top of the glass to support the plant from falling in the water. (or just clone in dirt & sex the clone, but this takes a little longer)

put the cutting in a dark cupboard for 36 hrs....change the water...and now give the cutting only 8 hrs of lite a day....change the water every other day including the drop of SUPERthrive

IF your dilligent about the lite schedule and the water changes you can sex this cutting within 14- 20 days

no worries of males screwing the pooch when your not looking:D

Shartmozzle

NEXT week dude......Im with ya here & its almost time:hello: