Starting indoors

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by alectricalguy, Mar 3, 2013.

1. I have some feminised blueberry widow for outdoors this year. Is it ok to start the seeds under HID lights inside or is this too stressful? Maybe fluorescent would be better for starting? I am worried that the shock of going from the indoor lights to being transplanted into natural light might make them turn male.

2. People start plants indoors all the time. There is no problem moving them outdoors.

3. youre right, HID lights are usually considered too strong for seedlings.
    the trick for moving plants outdoors is to slowly get them used to it by putting them out for a while, taking them back in and gradually increasing the amount of time they spend outside. 1-2 weeks should be about right for them to adjust I believe, depends on how different the environment outside is.
    plants dont turn male if you treat them wrong. the most they can do is hermy if you fuck with them during flowering, for example by repeatedly interrupting their dark cycle.

4. [quote name='"alectricalguy"']I have some feminised blueberry widow for outdoors this year. Is it ok to start the seeds under HID lights inside or is this too stressful? Maybe fluorescent would be better for starting? I am worried that the shock of going from the indoor lights to being transplanted into natural light might make them turn male.[/quote]

Hid is fine for indoors. Floros hold their own for a week or two but if your starting earlier than that hid will give you some massive vegetative growth and a huge jump on the season. Floros will work, but vegetative growth is slower once they get a few leaf sets.

The increased lighting going outdoors shouldn't cause any hermie issues. During veg lighting changes are much more forgiving.