Starting from seed. Nutrients questions?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DoP slinkey420, Nov 12, 2015.

1. I have started my grow from seeds. They are cirrently happy and growing their second set of leaves. (Not including the sprout leafs). Quesrion is when do you add nutrients? When do you add soil enzymes?

2. Nutrients should be added when the nutrient content of the soil runs low. This will take longer if the pots are bigger and if the nutrient content of the soil is high to start off with.

A very rough rule of thumb is when the tips of the leaves reach out past the rim of the pot then it's time to either transplant to a bigger pot, or start adding nutrients. This is a rough guide so if the plant starts showing nutrient deficiencies before this then add nutes

3. The soil you plant in should be plenty of nutrition for your plants until further on down the road and you should only give water pH'd to the correct range until then. Make sure you fully understand watering and how NOT to do it. Over watering is the biggest killer of plants by inexperienced growers. You have to maintain definite wet/dry cycles with these plants or you risk root rot and other bad stuff. I start my plants or seeds in Solo cups and then transplant into 1 gallon pots after the plants have grown as tall and as wide as the cup (not before) which gives them new soil and fresh nutrients and should carry them for another 2 or 3 weeks before you have to start feeding them. The goal is to let the plant use up the nutrients that are naturally in the soil before you add anything else or you risk burning them. This is why it's important to use the right kind of soil to start them out in. Once they've drained the soil of goodies, it's then up to you to repot them again or start feeding them. Be careful when first feeding to make sure that your solution isn't mixed too hot and burns them. Feeding at 1/4 recommended dose is a good place to start until you can see how they are going to react to your mix. A TDS/EC tester is a cheap investment (less than $20) and it tells you how strong your mix is and keeps you from burning them with nutrients. I don't use the multiple bottle nutes that most do. I tossed that mess in favor of a water soluble powder called "Jack's" by J.R. Peters. It's about 1/20th the cost of the other stuff and works much better for me. I used to stand at the sink for days and mix up chemicals to pour in my plants. It takes me about 5 minutes now to mix up a 5 gallon bucket of whatever I'm preparing (veg or flower mix) and my plants have never been healthier. I also use water straight from the tap and all I do is pH it. Chlorine isn't used anymore. They use chloramine and it doesn't evaporate and there isn't enough of it in tap water to negatively affect your plants. Been using it for years now with complete success. So there are lots of ways to do things with this, but you've got to make sure you understand the important parts and how to handle them. Read up on the process before you start to get a good idea of the basics. This isn't the type hobby you can just fly by the seat of your pants on and have it turn out good most of the time. You need to know what you're doing. Good luck!

4. I have the nutrients i want to use. Just didnt want to add to early. I have been doing research on this for the past several months. I had a bad grow my first time. Over thought it and almost killed my plants . I gave to much water and nutrients and ended up with fungus nats and they started attacking my plant (well their babies did anyway) i was moving into a new house and didnt give them the attention they needed. I was able to get rid of them by flushing the plants so the soil was hella wet. Then waited 20 monutes then removed 2 inches of top soil and replaced it with steral playground sand. Got rid of them but by then it was to late. They didnt grow any new leaves and barely had buds on them lol. An inexpensive lesson but well learned

5. I added nuits twice now once per week about. I also add enzymes once a week. Once i started adding nutrients they had a nice growth spurt. But now my leaves on one plant is twisting. I am only doing half strength nutrients in a mainly shreaded petmoss a perlite with very little organic soil. About due for another feeding but gave nuitients the last watering on monday.

6. I have been researching for the past year and a half . I have educated myself to a point i can identify changes and problems. I do have a nutrient problem i think. My soils is mainly soiless as that was recommended for newbies. Shreaded petmoss and perlite with little soil mixed in This is my second attempt. I over thought it last time and was moving so didnt pay it the attention they needed. This time i am checking on them daily. And the last week is when my blue ox started getting twisted leaves. The pot i have them in was probable a little big to start but the others are happy so i know that isnt the issue. I have a soil tester and have been testing for mosture and nutrients. But want to know why my leafs twist to the right or left ? Is it a pest thing or a nutrients thing? I am going half strength of what the bottle recommends.