starting an aerogarden grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chronicon, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Picked up the 3 plant aerogarden today for 50 bucks (they didnt have the box) im going to pick up the tomato nutrient box tomarrow for 20 bucks and 3 clones from my buddys house. How long should i veg the clones and how long should i flower before harvest, they look pretty sativa. And also how big will they get? will i need to take off the light to make it taller?

2. you will be lucky to grow one plant to maturity in the little 3 spot aerogarden. the reservoir is just too small. i recommend you return it and read up on DWC/bubble buckets and CFLs if you want to try cheap hydro.

3. id second that(never used myself) ive seen quite few people run into trouble with them like you said the rez is so small the roots get entangled so quick and thats just the start of the probs some people manage 1 autoflower in them

4. well im only going to grow 2 plants and even if that doesnt work out i dont mind having a single plant hydro system, i can use it to root up clones too :)

5. you can always use cfl's too

6. one cfl is going to work better than the 1 aerogarden bulb, this simply wont work out. you can use it to clone though.

7. so your saying i should use a cfl instead on the light that came with it? Or can i add a cfl with the original light?

8. just scrap the aerogarden or use it for clones. you can grow with cfl's in a box because they generate low amounts of heat. and theyre really cheap.

9. I have an AG, which is currently the home of a single afghan kush ryder... at least for now. Depending upon how things go, and how well I may be able to perform lst on it, I still plan on starting another seed or two on a staggered schedule, in hopes of a small perpetual harvest.

Please, do not make the same mistake as I did with my first go at it. Once your clones are well rooted, i.e. you can see roots coming out from the sponge and hanging down slightly, move em! (lol) The roots will tangle so quickly it will make your head spin. Especially if you think they're sativas but even if they're not. Most sativas get quite a bit larger than an AG can handle... and I do mean a single sativa, not three!

Imo it would be well worth investing in an hps, *if* you have the space for it. If all you have is the very small space for an AG only, stick to lowryders... I've read some people do 2 or 3 of these at a time from start to finish successfully, but also hear that is only w/ supplemental lighting (and much care).

Search on "aerogarden", as there are lots of threads about how/what to grow in them. 3 sativas are way, way too many for the AG res and light coverage. Good luck!:wave:

10. Wow thanks for the reply. I was actually planning on doing lst on one and using the other one to cross breed with another chronic male i have.i was going to save the last one as a mother for next outdoor grow season.But unfortunatly when i woke up they were crispy, i later found out that after my friend had taken the clone he waited like 10 minutes to dip it in water so air penitrated the stalk. Im going to put some mids seeds in it and only keep one female for a test grow

btw I dont smoke that shit there from my friend

11. i am a big fan of the aerogarden setups they are awesome for growing herbs but the light setup is nowhere near where it needs to be to grow an adult pot plant, you might be able to get a lowrider autoflower to grow but it wouldnt work well at all guaranteed end up with very litle yiled and it would be very weak and scrawny..

use it to start your seeds and cuttings as mentioned above.

12. chronicon, sorry about the death of your clones :( But really, as much as I dislike saying it, you are probably better off, all things considered. You couldn't have raised them up too far anyhow (think of roots shoving out the res and you being unable to keep enough water on them, watering several times per day most likely), without another space/plan for flowering. Then you would have invested all your time, patience and electricity for nothing but a few leaves. It would be very, very disappointing.

I don't know what "mids" are? What are they? Regardless tho, I personally wouldn't try to do anything but one small autoflower in there - or - I suppose you could peruse regular plants that stay small, lst them, and pick yourself up a timer to go to 12/12, probably no later than 2, maybe up to 3 weeks tops into veg. If that's the only space/unit you have and can afford... however, if you can save up some $ and plan your flowering bulb(s) purchase for a certain week/time, then start your seeds/clones a couple of weeks ahead of your flowering bulb(s) purchase. I'm not familiar with using cfls as supplemental lighting, but I know by study that it is the least expensive route... and there are MANY folks using them with great success. I am totally with the guys on how great these things are to start them out, tho... I have no regrets about buying mine. You shouldn't either for 50 bucks (lol)

Btw, how many bulbs does an AG with only 3 holes have? Is the res at least 3/4 gallon? Unfortunately, that is *so* small for anything of stature in hydro (soil too, from what I understand). I have a Pro 200, it has 7 holes and 3 bulbs in the hood... plus it extends to 2' (60 cm) tall. I know they can be hacked as far as raising the hood farther, and of course you can add supplemental lighting as the guys say, but I would sure do some searching/studying across the forum (and by googling) on this.

13. Damn this was a while ago... well in the end i got another clone and went for it and it turned out greast i got 34 grams in the end and the resivoir had Just enough room for the roots I used ag nutes and never had any leaf burn problems:hello:

By the way mids also known as regs, reggie baisicly its really crappy brick weed that smells and tast like cockroach piosoning.. you get 1.7 for 5 dollers and it ususally is packed with seeds.