Starter soil?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LankySwag, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Right after germination, i want to use a brand of soil thats the best for the seedlings, then transfer to Dr. Earth POTting soil.

I need recommendations! Thanks :cool:

2. What do you have available? There are hundreds of brands.

3. Im working on my first grow op right now, but before I started, I did a decent amount or research, and found Fox Farm is a solid soil maker. Im using their "fish food"mix, and my plants seem to like it.

4. #5 zero13skater, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
  5. Everyone throws out FFOF as a suggestion, and that is fine, but realize many of us do not have easy access to it. No one within 50 miles of me sells it. I could buy it online, but shipping costs would eat me alive. So therefore, I asked the OP what was available to him/her.

6. If you dont have a store that sells foxfarm, chances are there are no stores that sell the other brands I would suggest as well, like promix, etc...

happy frog and light warrior are great seeds starters .... i never go 100% with those soils, because they are simply too light and airy for my liking .... so half ocean forest and half light warrior, or happy frog, does the trick everytime

7. Alright, I have easy access to both fox farm and happy frog. Do you recommend adding perlite to it for the seedling, or does the happy frog basically aerate enough?

I'll mix 50-50 then put in little pots for my seedlings, before they sprout, do they need sun or anything? Where should I store them (dark space etc.)

8. [quote name='"MaineCronic"']If you dont have a store that sells foxfarm, chances are there are no stores that sell the other brands I would suggest as well, like promix, etc...

happy frog and light warrior are great seeds starters .... i never go 100% with those soils, because they are simply too light and airy for my liking .... so half ocean forest and half light warrior, or happy frog, does the trick everytime[/quote]

It'd surprise you where you can find promix. Lowes, home depot, menards. Just gotta look the right place.

9. no, dont add perlit. Ocean forest is pretty good itself, but happy frog is super airy. NO need to add perlite.

50/50 is a good ratio for seedlings IMHO, that what I use.

They dont NEED light until they sprout the surface, but i give it to them anyway.

10. Alright thanks for help, should i transfer to pure fox farm, or fox farm/bat guano, or this Home Grown®: POTting Soil | Doctor Earth by itself

or that and some gypsum?

Sorry 4 the long question

11. I go 1:1 ocean forest:happy frog

transplant to 100% FFOF

12. Alright, thanks

13. Im outdoors in pots too if that matters

14. i dont see why it would ...

15. I just use straight Light Warrior for seedlings. As for light I just hang a couple of daylight CFL`s over them.