SSV questions, please help!!

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Maxm, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Interesting post from Slightly Medicated over at FC. A bit off topic but kinda interesting.

-------------------------------------------

I thought I would come in and talk about the difference between Sublimation and Vaporization.

Vaporization is the process of going from a solid to liquid to a gas form. Like ice melting to water evaporating in to the air.

Sublimation is the process of going from a solid to a gas. Like dry ice that goes from a solid to a gas.

In order for cannabis to sublimate you would need vacuum to lower the atmospheric pressure so that you could lower the boiling point and increase the speed at which the active ingredients would transition. I am still not even sure if it is possible to have cannabis transition to a gas with out going through a steam like phase.

Sublimation is an endothermic phase transition that occurs at temperatures and pressures below a substance's triple point in its phase diagram. (The Triple point is the three phases solid/liquid/gas) In thermodynamics, the word endothermic describes a process or reaction in which the system absorbs energy from its surroundings in the form of heat.

Vaporization is an Exothermic reaction. In thermodynamics, the term exothermic ("outside heating") describes a process or reaction that releases energy from the system, usually in the form of heat, but also in the form of light, electricity, or sound.

I hope that clears up the difference some

-------------------------------------------------------

2. That was very interesting and informative! Thank you!