Sprout problems.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by theglassshroom, May 1, 2012.

1. This isn't going to be short, so bear with me.

Ok, so I have 3, two week old plants, and i think i fucked up pretty bad. They're just putting out their second set of 3 blade leaves, which tells me I'm quite behind the power curve, and also their stems have the integrity of a new sprout. I know I've fucked up in many areas. I had them in a crawl space with two 5000k lights on them, and they're in a mixture of scotts potting soil, and miracle grow potting mix, all with heaping amounts of perlite, because that soil has this exasperating ability to retain moisture for too long. Also I'm using miracle grow for tomatoes as my veg nute.

I know, I know. It's atrocious. The reason for all of this is I'm currently living with my parents due to a lack of a job right now, and they would surely kick me out if they knew what I was up to. The plants for the (failed) indoor portion of this were tucked away in a cubby hole in my sister's old room, because I cant exactly leave these plants out in the back yard, and they weren't ready for the grow spot yet. I just transplanted them two days ago to my grow spot, and the only good news I can bring to the table is that their roots were healthy as a horse. But, as for the upper portions of the plants, is there any way I can salvage this, or should I just rip them up and give up, because I'm starting to get really frustrated with this.

I'm operating low budget, considering I have no money for fancy soils and worm castings and bat guano.

PS. Can pot grow in clay soil? I live in the southeast, and thats pretty much all we have, and yet another reason i filled my holes with potting soil.

2. You can put soil in clay but how big is your hole. I put 5 gal of soil in a hole i dug and its taken off since outside. I have zero $$ invested in my grow and all of them are looking great talll and bushy...they should be good once their getting that sun light i also live in south east suns great right now

3. You should Take down the system and try again when you have your own space. Don't put your family in jeopardy including the possibility legal trouble including your parents losing their home.

Now that I got that out of the way. Clay soil will not do much good your going to need plant food. Sounds like he light was too far away that caused the stretching and he lack of nutrients.

I do have an important question.. If you are succuessful getting the plants to flower have you considered how to handle the smell?

Not trying to be a buzz kill about growing in your parents house just take the time to think it throughly. Perhaps an secluded out door grow?

4. #4 theglassshroom, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
    As far as it goes, no one knows about my grow at all. No friends, no acquaintances, no one. If on the off chance I got busted, I would tell them to leave my family out of it, but it's not a big enough grow to even draw attention. I have 7 plants in all. 3 in the ground, 4 in the cubby hole. As for flowering, I'm spacing them apart by a good bit to keep the smell down, and to keep the plants from being noticeable by air. Also, they're pretty damn far out in the woods. The holes are about 3 gallons a piece. I was just wondering about the clay soil, because I wasn't sure if breathability and drainage would be too poor. Gah, it sucks living in a state with nothing but shitty soil. But is there any way to strengthen them and get them hardy and healthy? The two oldest are now putting out their third set of 3 fingers, but their stems are still pretty damn floppy.

5. I wa able to train the plants down easily when they had there 3 set of leaves. Are they standing up on there own, then the stems may be normal.

I imagine it depends on what state you live in on what they would do and to what extent. Nevada has some serious laws against it.

Let me gets this straight since you are posting on multiple forums. You planning on vegging X weeks and take them outside?

You going to want to surround them in a decent soil if your planting in clay. I have an vegetable garden and I had to amend and till the soil before I had a decent harvest. Talking about clay so fierce that I used a pick axe to break it up.

6. They're already outside. When I posted on another forum, I brought them outside earlier than I had planned because inside I'm not able to fan train them for reasons that are a bit too long to explain, and my logic was, if I bring them outside, the wind can train them, and they may just have a fighting chance. As it stands now, their stems are flaccid, and it's a toss of the coin to see if they'll stand on their own. Sometimes they will, but I've already set up two stakes, and i have a low lying, single wrap of fishing line to help them balance where the bend points are, but still enough room to give them a chance to stand on their own if they so choose to do it that day.

As far as the clay goes, its mainly red clay, but in some parts I have found brown clay, and even grey clay. The soil isn't very hard for the most part unless it doesn't rain for 3 weeks, but here in the south, this week aside, it's been raining and storming like a motherfucker for the last few weeks, so the ground isn't an issue. However, I don't want to risk a tiller, as that would certainly compromise me, because sound carries pretty far in the woods. I don't wanna say what state I'm in for safety reasons.