Sports

Discussion in 'General' started by Mackerowenie, Sep 22, 2012.

1. #1 Mackerowenie, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
    Are sports good or bad for society?
    Professional sports more specifically.

Edit: I'll add that I personally enjoy watching college sports more. The kids are playing for more than just money. GO HAWKS.

2. I don't think they're either good or bad, but I'll muse on it.

I think it's bad we pay so much for them to play, but then again they may not have the motivation to become so good if not for the money. There's always fame, but only bigheaded idiots really desire that. If we didn't pay so much, a lot of the organization and publicity would fall away, and the professional aspect of it would drop, if not altogether, at least significantly. I think it's bad that it causes so much controversy.

Contrarily, I like how it brings people together and gives (what should be) harmless competition. I think it inspires children to become more athletic when they see an amazing player in a sport they enjoy, so I would find that to be a plus.

Overall - I hate the way they receive their attention, but like what it does without all the added BS.

3. Good. Keeps us together more, more social too I guess. Now this is for all sports excluding soccer, or futbol. IDK what the Europeans have up their ass, but if it causes riots and shit, it should be shut down

4. Sports are great for society, being played or watched. Only thing bad about sports if your wathing it on tv, is the fucking commercials.....

5. and the refs! the fucking refs! :mad:

6. Personally, I don't think I would want my kids role model to be a current professional athlete. And I love watching and playing many sports! I guess they do some community work... But it's just such a minuscule effort in the grams scheme of things.

7. I think sports are very positive for a society.

8. If I had to choose between an athlete, and Justin Bieber, or someone from Jersey Shore, etc. ... at least an athlete has health going for them, if nothing else. And the image of health is so skewed nowadays.. people have no fucking clue what they're talking about when they 'go on a diet' or 'try to eat healthier'.

If there weren't so many downsides to the behind-the-scenes shit in pro sports, that miniscule effort shouldn't be overlooked. As it is, the economy would probably receive a boost if we stopped caring about sports. Then again.. I don't really know shit about economics, so I'm really just speaking out of my ass with that last sentence :laughing:

9. If you don't mind me asking, how so?

10. #10 SlayerVA, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
    I think sports is great for a society because it bonds us together, it gives a majority of people something to do and look forward too, keeping the masses occupied. I can wear my very nice authentic dallas jersey, walk into 7-11 and have people say "That's whatsup man, nice Jersey dawg!. shiiiit Go witten!"

There have been very very beneficial outcomes from sports alone, soccer has brought countries closer together and has been used as a peace tool for a long time now, although this can have adverse effects.

11. [quote name='"SlayerVA"']

Fuck man I am too high to write a lot right now, but I'll deliver an explanation tomorrow ;)

I'll edit this post when I wake up lol.[/quote]

Doubtful, but props if you do. Sometimes I wish I could live on a tropical island away from all the bullshit. All I need some dank buds and water.

It's actually really ironic because we as society pick and choose who is a celebrity and who isn't. It's not their fault people are just hungry for the bullshit.

12. True, but a lot of them embrace it and flaunt it. I honestly can't imagine ever even wanting fame, but they say getting it changes you.

13. They feed off of us. Why is Kim Kardashian famous? How did she come to acquire 35 million dollars? I guess in a free market people can make their money how they want but shit can be frustrating. Have you ever seen those Entertainment Tonight news shows? It's so fucking ridiculous..

14. No, but my mom watches/watched them :eek:

Kim Kardashian was originally famous because of her father. But yeah, she definitely fed off of society. I think she was probably only able to make that money because of her stupid show.

15. I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this thread so far. Sports is one of those things that strengthens the bonds between people in society because so many people enjoy watching. And while I don't completely believe professional athletes are good role models (some are, some aren't), at least they stress things that most people want for their kids (fitness and diet and whatnot).

I think if we had more large scale problems associated with sports (large scale riots) then my views might change, but as it stands now, I don't believe professional sports are detrimental to anyone in particular.

For the record, my post can only speak for my experiences (in the United States). Other places may have a vastly different sports culture where the losers get their heads chopped off for all I know.

16. There ya go CKTony lol

17. Can't wait for Notre Dame v Michigan...

Roll a fatty and watch ND smash'em.

18. yep its great for culture and moral (like the saints in new orleans), brings people together and gives me somethin to look forward to on sundays

19. Yes, and i'll mention it keeps children occupied, and keeping children occupied is very important in the shit world we live in today.

Sports can hold the key to a good college, and keep you out of a gang or thug life, for a good amount of people.

20. Yesterday I went to the courthouse to renew my registration, and every lady working there had a jersey or shirt of the highschool because it was homecoming. I think it's neat how it brings small communities together like that..