Sportbikes..

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Braddock, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Anyone here ride a motorcycle? More specifically a 250cc-1000cc sportbike?
    If so, feel free to share a few things like..

how you stay safe on the road, away from the pigs.
    if you ever ride while under the influence of marijuana.
    any motorcycle gear?

I plan on financing my first motorcycle soon :hello: Honda CBR250RA

2. If it's a 250 go with a 600. Everyone I've talked with that starts with a 250 wants a 600 within a couple weeks of riding.

3. I ride a 650 cruiser, 250's are good for 14 year olds, otherwise 600 or higher. I've rode high, its ok, but i honestly try my best not to. Laid my bike over drunk, never laid it over high. I'm looking at trying to get a ninja 650.

4. Also a 250 really will seem very powerless after a couple weeks, start with a 600 and just don't rip back on the throttle until your accustomed to the bike. Like if you get a 250, you will feel disappointed after a short time, a 600 will have plenty of power and still be controllable with someone with little experience. ::cool::

5. Every review I've read says the same thing about switching up to a 600 after a few weeks of riding. Problem is, I'm only 18 turning 19 and this is already pretty hard on my parents. So I figured getting a 250 after my MSF course (which I got a 98 on!) would ease both myself and my parents into this lifestyle. I have no doubt that I'll upgrade to a 600, but maybe after a 6-12 months since the 250 is extremely economic and will teach me good fundamentals :)

I like the ninja 650 too! Especially with the new 2013 designs..

6. [quote name='"Braddock"']Every review I've read says the same thing about switching up to a 600 after a few weeks of riding. Problem is, I'm only 18 turning 19 and this is already pretty hard on my parents. So I figured getting a 250 after my MSF course (which I got a 98 on!) would ease both myself and my parents into this lifestyle. I have no doubt that I'll upgrade to a 600, but maybe after a 6-12 months since the 250 is extremely economic and will teach me good fundamentals :)

I like the ninja 650 too! Especially with the new 2013 designs..[/quote]

Yeah now i understand... yeah, i mean if your light you could still get it to 90ish. But yeah if it helps your parents then fuck it get the 250. Just take really good care of it so you can trade it in for a good value. And yeah the new ninja 650's are beast!! :smoking:

7. Watch videos on YouTube, counter steering is basically the best thing ever especially with the psycho box drivers everywhere.

8. im 5'8, 155 pounds :) I have a feeling I wont be able to fully flat-foot it, but I don't mind that too much. I'm hoping I'll be able to hit 90-100 since I'm fairly light.
    And yes, I will be taking pristine care of it so I'll be able to do a resale for a good price. Or maybe just trade it back into the dealership and take out another brand new 600 bike

9. Yeah, just straight trade it at the same dealership, unless you decide bikes aren't for you. And yeah you should be able to haul a little ass if you ever need to.

10. Wear a helmet!! It really can save your life, i didn't and the nuero surgeon had to bring me back to life. Lesson learned, i still don't wear one unless I'm traveling, but i have learned to be as safe as can be, tho other drivers cause most motorcycle accidents.

11. i got an 84 seca 550 tops of at 110 though still fun to ride (ive never gotten it past 75) the speedometer stops at 110 though.

12. I ride a Suzuki Dr 650, Its a dual sport and i love it

Attached Files:

13. I like large displacement bikes, like about 1200cc+. They have big power down low and you don't have to rev them a lot. I had a Bandit 1200 I got up to 100 mph almost every time I got on it. Couldn't help it. Some of them don't weigh much more than the 600's. There's no replacement for displacement.

14. Call me a street bike hater but why do you want one? Are you just wanting an adrenaline rush from the speed or?? They're fun toys for sure

15. As soon as I move and get settled, I'm buying a Honda CB350/500 and giving it the café treatment like so...

[​IMG]

16. I've got a Suzuki Bandit GSF600.

Got to say, don't go out and buy a 250 - you'll lose money on it when you come to sell it, and you'll want to upgrade in no time! :D

I usually wear helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. I have 1 piece leathers but rarely wear them as it's just too much hassle :)
    Mind you, in the UK I have to wear a helmet, it's the law. I wouldn't wear one if I was only nipping round town if I didn't have to.

Having a bike is awesome, just expect to come off a few times - it's all part of the learning process. I've been riding about 3 years, had a few smaller cc bikes (sub400cc) and a few bigger cc bikes, the smaller bikes are better for learning on as when you come off, there tends to be less weight falling on you and they are easier to pick up.

It's all about what you want, a 250 will give you nowhere near the thrills of a 600/1000, but will still be a fantastically fun bike, as you won't be quite used to the speed (at first..)

17. I started on an R6... never rode a motorcycle before. Taught myself in a parking lot with an 1 help from a friend (and lots of youtube video's). Then, took my MSF course... and never had a problem. I'd recommend it, but I'm a bit older... a little less feeling of invincibility than when I was 18/19. That age, you may want something that helps keep your need for speed at bay until you really get used to it.

If you think you can resist the urge to ride outside your ability... than I'd say a 600. If you know you have a tendency to feel a bit crazy, overconfident, etc... I'd start on a used 250. That way you don't have to worry about losing too much $$ when you trade up in a few months.

Biggest thing, especially in the beginning - wear your helmet and gear on a sport bike. You can make your own judgement once you know what your doing... but until then, I'd recommend keeping your skin. Chicks dig guys with skin. They can surprise you when your inexperienced... and surprises on 2 wheels are dangerous.

18. 250's aren't only good for 14 year olds. There is a reason why low cc bikes are recommended to beginners so avidly by experienced riders.. I'd rather be able to hit the twisties on a 250, which it's perfectly able to do, rather than the jackass who starts on a Gixxer and falls flat on his ass (if he's lucky). Then they get discouraged, think biking isn't that great, and give up. That 250 Ninja will still do a sub 13 second 1/4 mile, which is more than plently for a beginner.
    I started out on an '01 250, until I could tackle the twisties as well as some more experienced riders, well over a year, by the end of it I could keep up on a 2 mile road riding with a R1 Raven with only being 10 seconds or so behind. I stepped it up to a 650 and I was a solid 5 or seconds ahead of him on my second pass.
    A 650 cruiser and a 250 are two totally different beasts, both are forgiving for a new rider, but a 650 sporty isn't going to be anywhere near as much. That thing would dump a beginner off that wasn't suspecting as soon as they hop on.
    Also to Braddock full gear doesn't consist of a helmet. You need leathers (a reinforced jacket at the least), boots, and gloves. I've ran on some trauma calls for motorcyclists wearing only a helmet, it's not pretty at all. Another thing to remember is that you are somewhere around 40% more likely to wreck betweens years 1-3 of riding, due to overconfidence in your abilities. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to another forum, so I'm pming you a link to a sport bike forum, they're all more then helpful with anything you need.
    Edit: Also, buy an used 250. Cheaper to start with, cheaper over the long run when you sell it. You want to start cheap, because dropping a bike isn't a matter of if, but when.

19. ninja 500r
    gs 500
    sv 650

top of the top for starter bikes it doesn't get much better than this.

p.s don't recomend starters a 600cc bike that's how people die. 2 months of riding and they think they are pros. truth is i bet no one on this page can push a 600 to it's limits.. including myself.

20. pushing a 600 to its limits really takes some cajones (at least if there are any turns). Another thing to remember is even if you are pushing your 250 to the limits you are probably breaking the speed limit by a decent amount. The majority of your riding you will be stuck behind people probably wishing you could go faster.