Spinosad, Leaf eater, IPM and overall health questions

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by n3oNLit3, Jul 6, 2017.

1. What up GC, This is my second grow, and first outdoor.

I have some pest eating the leaves on my a couple of my plants http://i.imgur.com/5cnOGkFh.jpg?1
    I can't find anything so I am thinking these little bastards are coming out at night. I know I should really know what I am dealing with before I treat for it, but I couldnt wait while this thing kept doing damage to my plants. The damage is very minimal at this point but I want to knock it out now. ​

To this end I bought a spinosad product: Capt'n Jack's Deadbug Brew. I applied this (2 oz/gal) with a pressure sprayer last night. I plan to respray in 3 days. ​

To start a IPM plan I bought Dyna-Gro Neem oil and some Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt. The following is the recipe I intend to follow for foliar application. ​
    • 1 Oz Neem oil
    • 1 Oz Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt as an emulsifier
    • 1 T of organic aloe vera as a surfactant
    • 1 Gallon Tepid water
    I also purchased some MIghty, because I experienced some spider mites in my indoor grow and imagine its only a matter of time till they show up. ​

Overall Health: From what I know, these girls look pretty happy, but there are a few things that are concerning me:
    • I am starting to develop yellow/light spots on a few leaves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Some of the new growth on the very top of 2 of my plants, is coming in slightly yellow and kind of wrinkled/twisted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whole plant pictures:​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for such a long post, I didn't want to crowd up the forum with multiple threads.
    Any help, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know there are some fine horticulturist here and I hope to be as helpful as a lot of you, some day

Thank you in advance for your help
    ~n3oN

2. Leaf damage looks like thrips, at a quick glance at pics. Assuming that's true, the spinosad will solve that with 3 treatments 3-4 days apart.

3. Looks like spidermites are settling in. They rock this time of year.Get some neem. oil. and diatomaceous earth the top of the soil. you'll find them with a microscope or magnifying glass on the undersides of the leaves.
    GFP

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

4. What picture would lead you to believe that? When I had spider mites, the stippling on the leaves was much smaller, like little dots. Plus I could find them with a jewelers loop. I literally can't find anything on these plants.

• Like Like x 1
  5. something is sucking the green juice out of the leaves most likely from the bottom leading to small tiny white blotches everywhere. diatomaceous earth the top of the soil and neem oil the plant.

6. Picture 1) looks like spidermites **

7. This is what i think too..... i had thrips last year indoors and the spinosad solved my thrip problem quick and easy

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

8. aphids are the ones that leave white squiggly lines anywhere on the leaves but especially lower inner parts. sucking from the bottom of the.leaf. spidermites attack top and bottom. either way he's outdoor not in and it's the dog days of summer. where spidermites party on
    GFP

9. I stand by my statement. It looks like thrips damage, not spider mites. And thrips can hit a plant indoors or out. As a note, if the damage is only on the lower, older leaves, and not on any of the new growth, you no longer have thrips and don't need to fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I agree, looks like thrips. I deal with them a lot, luckily not spidermites.
    @EbAndFlow, please clarify your last sentence above... just curious!

11. #11 AJSpencer, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Doesn’t look like thrips, spider mite, or aphid damage to me. Looks like leaf hopper damage.
    I’d try BT personally. The thing with outdoor grows is the pest isn’t protected like it is indoors, its vulnurable to natural (and free) predators from showing up. The nice thing with BT is it only kills the bugs eating the plant, and doesn’t harm the natural predators.
    With pesticides like spinosad, now you have a plant that’s also repelling the natural predators and inviting pests that are resistant.

On second thought, maybe not leaf hopper. But whatever it is, BT.
    I’d also have Stratiolaelaps scimitus (Hypoaspis miles) in the soil which feed on fungus gnats, root aphids, and hopefully the soil stage of whatever is doing this. Should have them in any grow as they last for the life of the plant, and its nice to rule out fungus gnats and root aphids.