Spider mites!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by timotei, Aug 1, 2012.

1. So I totally have em... There's only a few of em, but a ton of eggs... I need solutions and fast! I know lady bugs will kill em, but its 11 at night and that's not an option right now...

Help please.

2. Neem oil, silica, and aloe vera juice

3. Have they started flowering yet? If they have, you're screwed because once flowering has begun its best not to add and types of pesticides. If they're still in veg, then just spray em down with some neem oil or neem based pesticides

4. Treat with spinosad 3-4 times on 3 day intervals. works in veg or flower. Mighty Wash can also be used in flower,but is pricy. Either application works.

PW

5. Had this issue two days ago. I used a weak mix of washing up liquid and water and misted my plant. No signs of any more but I'm buying Neem oil 2moro incase they come back. Seems to be best for the plant from what I've read... Best of luck man

6. mighty wash has always worked for me...love it!!

7. When I had my mites and was reading, I saw a lot of "it doesn't matter what you spray with, technique is what matters"

I still went and bought some Mighty wash (was late in flowering) and it worked great. For my second, current, grow I've been using neem oil as preventitive maintance with great results.

8. Well, apon further examination, I saw that the buggers were only on ONE plant. So I turned the lights of, cranked the ac, and waited. After a couple hours, I grabbed some rubber gloves and started squishing. It took a while, but I think I got em all. I spayed em with water and flipped the lights on, and as of this morning, no more.

So knock on wood, but just in case, where does one find neem oil?

9. Neemresource.com is the best neem you can get, make sure to get dyna gro pro tekt liquid silicon also, it breaks down the oil plus helps your plant in more ways then I can list aloe vera juice will help spread it on the leaves also, those three mixed together are the best thing I've ever found in my years of growing

10. So I just saw they carry neem oil at home depot. From what I've noticed, anything cheap from home depot is bad news. (Mirical grow, perlite, fertz, ect) will this stuff work?

Is says organic! :)

Homedepot.com Mobile

11. Yes that will work also, the stuff from neemresource.com is just prime stuff

12. Thanks guy! Ill probly look into neemresource for the futur, but for now, I think ill snag some of this stuff just so they don't get worse. How did this happen? I don't understand how theyy are only on one plant, and I have a rather sterile grow box so... Where do that bastards come from?

I'm on rockwool dwc by the way. No soil.

13. #13 jPinkham, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
    Just remember just using plain neem oil won't work, you need something to break it down aka liquid silicon
    edit- there's a number of things that could of gotten you mites, I use neem oil once a week just to make sure I don't get mites otherwise sooner or later you will get them

14. Isn't the "something to break it down" where some people use a drop of dish soap? Not a loaded question to spark argument, but when I bought my neem oil and the clerk recommended the coco-wet (I think is it's name) the dish soap idea I've read crossed my mind but I decided against it since I was already at the store and the "right" item was only a few bucks.

And to OP since buying at home depot where you probably wont have a helpful clerk, my guy recommended letting the bottle of neem oil sit in a cup/pot of hot water to make it a bit more managable. It is quite thick.

15. [quote name='"Jmosley"']

Isn't the "something to break it down" where some people use a drop of dish soap? Not a loaded question to spark argument, but when I bought my neem oil and the clerk recommended the coco-wet (I think is it's name) the dish soap idea I've read crossed my mind but I decided against it since I was already at the store and the "right" item was only a few bucks.

And to OP since buying at home depot where you probably wont have a helpful clerk, my guy recommended letting the bottle of neem oil sit in a cup/pot of hot water to make it a bit more managable. It is quite thick.[/quote]

You can use antibacterial dish soap yes but it's got nasty chemicals in it I wouldn't spray on my plants, the silicon is only like 20$ shipped for a qt and you only need a half tsp to a gallon, well worth it in my eyes and way better

16. I got a deal on my bottle, but it's kinda expensive... SNS 217 rosemary solution.. Crush the FUCK out those sap sucking son of a bitches fast! Safe enough to consume, can spray even on harvest day. I sprayed late in flower and left no taste/smell what so ever.

17. sweet. That "other potentially harmful chemicals" thought is what went thru my mind, I got a tiny bottle so it was super cheap and well worth the peace of mind. Thanks for the reply, sorry for hi jacking OP but at least it applies to you too.

18. [quote name='"jPinkham"']Just remember just using plain neem oil won't work, you need something to break it down aka liquid silicon
    edit- there's a number of things that could of gotten you mites, I use neem oil once a week just to make sure I don't get mites otherwise sooner or later you will get them[/quote]

I've already ordered a quart of silica. How long will 8oz of neem from neemresource.com last me? And where do I get the aloe juice from? Recommended brand?

Also, how would one mix the three?

19. Add a teaspoon of "neemresources" neem oil to a small cup. To it add a half a cup(or so) of tepid water, and then your silica - it doesnt take much; perhaps a quarter to a half a teaspoon. You will see it immediately emulsify and break apart. Stir well, and then add this to a gallon of water. Once it's in the gallon jug add a quarter cup of aloe juice. Shake well - you will see it slightly "foam" as the saponins in the aloe are activated. Spray this on your plants up until perhaps week 2 - 3 max of flower, over, under, everywhere, paying special attention to the undersides of your leaves until it looks like a hurricane blew thru your room.

Repeat in 5-7 days to break the egg cycle. If you don't repeat, the existing eggs will hatch and before you know it, you'll be back to square one.

Jpinkham gave you spot on advice to order your neem oil through neemresource.com - theyve got the best out there.

Once you're into flower, you do not want to use neem any more. At this point, for complete mite eradication, use Spinosad. This is not a chemical - it is a bacterium grown thru fermentation. It was originally discovered at an ancient rum distillery down in the Caribean, taken, and is now commercially grown - it's never been found anywhere in the world since. You can find this product at most grow stores under the name of Captain Jacks Deadbug or Monterey Gardens. Follow the same directions, using the same silica and aloe.

Good luck - mites can and will destroy your room. Act fast.

Jerry.

20. You mix neem oil with water and a few drops of some mild non antibacterial dish soap. I`m dealing with a small spider mite problem I just found the other day on two of my outdoor plants and I use Pyrethrin. It kills pretty much any bug, spider or other insects that it comes into contact with.