Speeding Ticket.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Menchville, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Was given a Speeding ticket yesterday going 49 in a 35.

4 points on my Record, and I can either prepay it or take it to court.

I turned 18 a few month's ago, still on parents insurance, was driving my mom's van.

I got a speeding ticket 2 months ago for going 50 in a 35, and didn't go to court at all.. Just paid the ticket and called it a day.

The issue is, my parents were pretty mad at the last ticket even though I had paid it and everything, I am deciding if I should even tell them about this one. Sense I am 18 now, I can easily just pay the ticket myself and they won't know, but what I am scared about is when they get the insurance bill that it might rise.

If I just pre-pay the ticket it will be a total of 8 points on my record, 12 is how many points is required for a suspended license in Virginia.

So here is my question, do you suggest I go to court with a traffic lawyer and try and fight off the points so that the insurance will not rise and no one will ever find out? Or just prepay the ticket and wait for the insurance company to update there premium and try and explain myself then?

Thanks!

2. be a man and tell them

it's the right thing to do and they're gonna find out anyway

3. This.
    And stop speeding and you won't have to worry about it anymore!

4. 8 points? Slow the fuck down for Christ sake

5. damn you got screwed on that ticket. i got an 80$ 2 point ticket for 58 in a 35.

6. Hahah no, i tried the same thing you did, not telling my parents after i payed, it worked until a shitload of things came in the mail. But i was suprised my mom was like im happy you handled it maturely. All i did was pay the ticket lol. I had to pay $80 for the ticket then had to pay $60 for a class i had to take, and it was my first ticket. WTF

7. 1. Always fight the ticket.
    2. Do not hire a lawyer to fight the ticket, talk about a waste of money.
    3. Try using Marc Stevens' method.

8. Are you provisional? We get bloody 4 points here for provisional drivers before we lose our license. If you speed on a double demerit point weekend you can lose your license in one hit. :(

9. Fight it yes but on this point I call bs due to the fact that I know people who got away with going 25+ miles over the speed limit (yea, mere traffic violation like opening your door in traffic or possibly reduced speed depending on the other tickets also issued).

And Menchville, tell your parents. I doubt they'd be happy if their insurance company brought up that you got a ticket before you did (possible because they can bring it up). Anyway, good luck with your ticket.

10. "Excuse me judge, I only had a gram on me. But my friend had an ounce on him and got away with it."

Great defence. :rolleyes:

11. If you get a speeding ticket and you don't have to go to court, why would you even go? You aren't going to win the case, since its the cops word over yours, and he is going to win no matter what. Plus you gotta pay court costs and all that other really cool shit.

12. I was in a similar situation a few years ago and just paid and didn't mention it to my parents. Luckily my insurance costs didn't rise so I didn't have to argue with them about it. Actually my insurance ended up dropping some which confused me.

Not experienced with traffic court but it seems like if you have a record of speeding recently you might just be stuck with the ticket.

13. I got a speeding ticket in highschool for 55 in a 35 and the school detective was also the ruler on the hearing and he liked me so he gave me a pass on the ticket ;)

14. Re-read it please because you highlighted a section where I bring up my own first and/or third hand experiences into this so do you care to tell me why it should be compared to what you said? That is not something to try and say in the courts and anybody who knows a thing or two about the law and how it works to some degree can (and will, lets not lie because getting a lighter punishment is what you want right?) realize that saying that just makes you deserve a harsher punishment. I know text can be a little hard when it comes to interpretation so maybe that's what the case is right now.

15. shpild of went 1352 in a 83 then you could of plead a case of being a jedi.....

yeah im drunk, what of it?

16. That's not the case at all. You tried to give him advice based on the fact that people get away with worse stuff. This is a minor offence and he was going over the speed limit. Maybe he should just suck it up and take what he deserves? I actually have VERY little sympathy for people who speed because I think it's completely irresponsible.

Oh, and speeding is not the same as opening your door in traffic (unless you open your door fully, which I would determine is equally stupid and dangerous).

17. I use my lawyer for speeding tickets. 150 and he reduces it to a parking ticket..another 50 for the ticket and no points on my license and my insurance doesn't go up.

18. #18 FuckBeerGetWeed, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    This I agree with. If you're going to speed then face the consequences if and when you get caught. Why fight it you know you were in the wrong and could be endangering yourself and others around you. Obviously with that many points you haven't gotten te message so you deserve the ticket.