Speed of light

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by H2O420, May 23, 2011.

1. If a body that can perceive light moves at the speed of light would the speed of light increase to compensate for the perception of itself?

Basically I guess I'm asking could the speed of light be entirely relative to that which observes it?

2. Quantum physics + observable physics= ?

3. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking but the speed of light is constant. If you were moving at the speed of light and shone a torch in front of you the beam would move away from you at the speed of light. :smoke:

4. the light doesn't speed up, but for the person moving time would slow down to make it look like the light sped up.

5. the speed of light is constant no matter where, when, or how you are relative to it.

6. The speed of light doesn't change to suit its observer. The speed of light being faster/slower still wouldn't mean that are brains would processes it any faster.

Also, light is constant, but only in a vacuum. Light is slowed down by things such as water and glass (easily observable in everyday life)...

7. Can a body move at the speed of light?

8. Of course not, the closer we get to the speed of light the more matter is compressed... we would be crushed into nothing.

9. Could you reference something to explain this, possibly in an allegorical fashion? :eek: :smoke:

10. #10 IndyAir, May 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
    "Light" is non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation at various wavelengths that moves at 299,792,458 meters per second (in a vacuum).

I believe what you are referring to is the theory of special relativity; "The speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or of the motion of the source of the light."

***Edit: When I say light, most people mean visible light (which is around 400–700 nm). But there is a whole spectrum which we cannot see that still is classified as "light".***

11. nope. sorry.

12. The speed of light isn't constant. It's constant through the same substance but it isn't the same speed for everything. Light travels a lot slower in water than it does in a vacuum. It's dependent upon what its going through. The slowest scientists have found is in some liquid element, forgot which, cooled to absolute zero.

13. Light's been stopped for a few years.

Harvard Gazette: Researchers now able to stop, restart light

14. The speed of light is a constant. Yes it changes depending on the medium but it's also still going as fast as anything can travel through that material. A constant doesn't mean that it's always going to travel at that speed (at least in this case and for the speed of sound as well as some other examples). The thing you are talking about is a type of Bose-Einstein condensate (I'm fairly sure).

15. Agreed.

16. What's pretty cool is that a photon that has just traveled from the sun to earth hasn't aged at all.

17. Even though it's spent millions of years escaping the sun's core and another 8 minutes and 19 seconds coming to Earth.