speaker box questions PLEASE HELP !

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by 420OGKUSH, Jul 24, 2010.

1. I scored a couple of 12" x 8" x 31" (L x W x H) speakers and I was wondering if this was enough room for 2 low height plants. Also since this box is some what tall could I fit a taller strain in there other than ones similar to lowryder? How many bulbs/watts do you guys recommend for a box with these dimensions? (I plan on using CFL's). This is going to be my first grow, hope to keep it super stealth due to the parents. Let me know what you guys think any help would be greatly appreciated.. I plan on posting pics throughout the grow. Thanks in advance.

2. Because of the W X L , You are most likely be limited to 1 plant, seeing how most pots 3gallon+ are larger than 8-9 inches So if your looking for a taller plant you would want a larger pot. Thus limiting you to 1 plant.

Also since your box is so small W x L your going to be very limited on the amount of bulbs you can use. You could get away with 3-4 CFLs if you use 64W growing CFLs (not the watt it replaces EX: 26w cfl replaces a 100w standard bulb). The only issue I could see is you would have to raise and lower your plant instead of raising or lowering your lights.

Lastly, Wait till your out of your parents house. What your wanting to do is illegal in most states still and could even cause the State to take your parents house if your busted. Thats not including any problems if your parents found out you was doing this and you loose their trust plus possibly handed over to the police. Im guessing your between 18-21 and you def dont want to go to jail/prison at that age.

3. Won't fit 2 plants but will definitely be able to run 2 JL Audio W7's!!!! :D

4. lol, that made me chuckle something fierce.

5. ive seen pc grows in that amount of space. with a small hydro setup you can really conserve space. instead of a 9" pot, you use a 6 inch tub. i wouldnt try to grow two in there, unless you have another space to flower just because they would be way too cramped for space. which will bring you to another issue. how are you planning to light and vent the speaker?

6. Ahh I was worried about that, but getting only 1 plant isn't that big of an upset I probably should do that to limit the smell as well. And honestly as my parents go they know I smoke and they smell it coming from my room almost all day and the box is going to be well hidden in my closet behind some hanging clothes. They rarely come in my room and sure don't go snooping around in my closet since I live with my gf and all her clothes are in there as well. They are gone a lot of the time in the day due to work so that's the only time I'm going to take out the box. I think I should be straight unless you guys really think this is a bad idea, I was planning on getting some low strain/smell seeds to ensure stealthiness. Thanks for the advice man I definitely appreciate it.
    Haha got these at the Salvation Army so I don't think they would even sound good!

I was thinking about going with hydro but don't have any experience with it. I've been reading all about it online yet it still seems confusing. What is the easiest hydro setup? Thanks for your help.

7. O and I plan on using cfl's and for the vent I'm going to cut a hole maybe a couple at the top for the exhaust and the same for the bottom intake and hook em up with computer fans. I plan on getting like 3 of those ONA deodorizers (putting a couple inside and 1 out) and then connecting a carbon filter to the exhaust. And for the lights I was thinking about using the same idea as this thing but for CFL's : Westinghouse 6 Ft. Cord Set with Snap-In Pigtail with Candelabra Base Socket and Cord Switch - 7010800 at The Home Depot
    I was planning on getting three 4-6ft extension cords, plugging in those outlet to bulb socket converters in them and then hanging them from the top of the speaker with some hooks. As the plants grow I will continue to pull the cord causing the lights to lift and then mount the cord on the side with something (maybe even electrical/duct tape) so that it doesn't accidentally fall to its full length. Let me know if you guys think this idea will work and if you can think of a better mounting material then tape lol. Thanks all the advice is appreciated

8. #8 pullskinbak, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
    third week into budding on my first grow!!! cant wait til its finished!! my growrooms bout 3ftx3ft and bout 6 ft high! i use 1 x 150w cfl,2x25w cfl`s,all blue spectrum......ive got four plants growing and there all cummin on fine. i use my 300w cfl red for the flowering stage :)..........maybe 4 weeks left to harvest :)

9. haha cool but umm I don't think this is where your post belongs?

10. maybe put some carbon in your closet in a bucket with some kinda fan, idk ha. that might get rid of some of the smell.

11. #11 420OGKUSH, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
    Yeah I might do one of those..
    Anyone else have any suggestions? Are these dimensions good enough for at least one female plant that has low height genetics? Could I maybe add a mini SCROG screen to this to try to increase my yield since it'll only have one plant in there? Hope to hear from you guys soon.

:smoke:

12. One thing I forgot to add earlier was that you should try to find a Square pot to maximize the most soil you can. And yes your room is tall enough. I plan on growing in a 2foot + high enclosure using LST to work with the smaller area.

The only issue you would have being limited to 1 plant is if it went male or hermie. The only way to avoid this is to buy Femmed seeds. However even then you still run a chance of going hermie/male though it may only be a slight chance.

13. Sweet man thanks for your help, I do plan on ordering all feminized seed, do I have to get a strain that says it'll grow small or could I maybe get one that is medium sized ? Do you think that getting those extension cords with the light sockets at the end would be my best bet for lighting or should I go with the typical power strip at the top and move my plants up instead? I think I'm going to go with 3 or 4 CFL's because aren't I supposed to have at least 100 watts per plant? And also I forgot to ask if it was easier to use LST or the SCROG method.:smoke: Thanks a lot again for the info, I'm very nooby to this but I'm willing to learn.

14. Also I forgot to ask you guys if it's better to buy some feminized seeds or just get a female clone from a local dispensary?

15. IMHO it is better to buy female clones, they are already female, feminized seeds have a funny way of turning on you late in the game.

the cfl powerstrip rig is a great idea, i have one right now, only i have y connectors on every socket so i can plug in twice the amount of lights.

also DO NOT USE TAPE, not duct tape, not gaff tape, not scotch tape. my dumb ass killed most of my clones last year when i tried to duct tape my powersupply light to the side of my new cloning box.:smoking:

i checked on the box like an hour after i had rigged it up, and the lights where sitting on the clones just frying them. i only saved one of ten. a 2$ bottle of gorilla glue later and the power supply is mounted nicely to the box, but i learned the hard way that duct tape is only good for ducts, or duct related projects.

they best cheap hydro setup for that size IMHO would be a small plastic rubbermaid tub with net pots in the lid. an air pump for an aquarium, and an air stone, or air wand(same thing, just longer, makes a curtain of bubbles rather than a pillar). besides water and nutes thats all you might need to get started.

16. Thanks a lot man for your advice.. How do you raise/lower your lights if you gorilla glued them to the box? Do you just raise/lower your plants? Also I used to have my own tropical fish business so I have all those aeration supplies.. Is it easier to go hydro? Do you know any good threads on here that you could refer me to? Because I don't know much about the nutes or how to care for the plants in the hydro setups.. Thanks again man:smoke:

17. i wouldnt say its easier, its not as simple as putting a seed in dirt and watering, but i made the switch and am very happy. under cfls my plants grow quicker then they used to. check out the hydro forum, they have a bunch of good threads.

read up on the lucas formula for nutes, its a good starting point.