Space Bucket Grow: CFL Advice Needed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by uxcy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Hey all,

I'm looking to start my first grow this fall. I live in Germany and am getting screwed price- and quality-wise. :mad:
    I'm very short on space, and on a tight budget. I'm looking to keep this under 150 Euros. I've spend many hours researching, and have decided on building a space bucket: Space Buckets

I'm planning on using 2 of these for veg: 6500K, 25W CFL
    And 4-6 of these : 2700K, 23W CFL + 1 of the 6500Ks for flowering.
    This is for 1 plant in a tight space, lots of reflective foil (or white buckets if I can find them). I'm going to try to keep everything low with LST.

What do you guys think? :D

2. I think you can buy a 150w HID light for <$100 USD and it will be much more efficient

3. After reading this, I've settled on CFLs. I'm just wondering if I have enough of them

4. hi there. Im german, too :)
    you mean youre getting screwed when buying weed or when buying equipment? cuz both seem to be generally more expensive in germany than in the US... where I live (northern germany) you usually get about 1g of decent bud for 10€, 1.3g would already be considered good. I believe the prices went up in the last couple of years.

dont do a micro grow like that, its neither cost- nor work-efficient in any way. instead you should use the little space you have inside to veg some plants with CFLs, then plant them outside guerilla style and just let nature do its job until harvest. much bigger yield, far less regular check-ups, more fun activities.
    as a strain I recommend frisian dew, here is my review.
    you can also grow autos outdoors (thats alnmost the only place where choosing autos really makes sense) for harvests during summer. make sure you buy the right strain though, most autos are shit. go with a strain that takes long from start to finish, the others stay too small to make any sense. I bought dutch passion's automazar for my balcony this year, another good strain is paradise seeds' pandora and Ive also read good stuff about afghan kush ryder, although that seems to be a smaller and faster strain.

5. Hi baumeister,

I live a bit south of Frankfurt, in a city, unfortunately. Bud here is usually 2g for 25€, sometimes pretty good, sometimes just okay.

There are some woods I could reach by train or bicycle, but I feel like growing outdoors is really risky. How long would it take plant to harvest? Can I just plant and come back a few weeks later and harvest?? :eek:

6. #6 baumeister, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013
    well for one your climate is definitly better than mine up here...

you gotta plant your seeds in pots somewhere where you can care for them and let them grow for at least 3 weeks, longer would be better. artificial light (fluorescents are cheap and work fine) is very helpful, Im using a 125w CFL and a couple smaller ones to veg and clone 5 plants that I started around february 1st. Im hoping to have something like 15-25 plants to plant out between may 15th and june 15th... if everything works like I hope it will, I wont have to buy weed until the next harvest :D
    whatever you do, it will be months rather than weeks. you can either use regular photoperiodic strains like the frisian dew I recommended, in that case harvest will be in october. or you can use autoflowering strains, in which case harvest will be 2 1/2 - 3 months after planting.
    you need a sunny spot where nobody comes across the plants. on the edge of woods, in an openign in the woods, on a riverside... anything like that. soil should be dark an moist, mud is bad, clay is bad, some sand is ok. you can also bring your own soil, aeration or water retention amendments (perlite, vermiculite etc.) and fertilizers - stick to true organic fertilizers though, theyre easier to use and better.
    look for places with plants that people dont walk through, such as nettles and blackberries. nettles are great, because most people avoid them but if you come prepared you can get through very easily. they also like very similar conditions to those that cannabis enjoys, you know that a spot is good for growing weed when nettles thrive there.
    if I were you Id probably look for spots around riverside forests pointing south... those places arent just great for wine.

do not create any paths to your spot! if other people see a path in an area where there are no others (which is where you want to plant), they will follow it.
    only remove vegetation in very small circles around your plants to reduce competition. it all needs to look natural, its much less likely that somebody will notice your plants between all the other plants than that somebody will notice tools, trash, dug up soil, a path or things liek that.

risk isnt necessarily higher than with indoor growing I believe... Im just gonna plant mine outside in may/june and then mostly abandon them until harvest. keep in mind that tits called weed for a reason, if you give them a good start theyre gonna keep up with the vegetation around them.
    I will leave the spots looking like theyre not being cared for, so if the police do find them they wont be as sure that I will come back and will hopefully invest less in trying to catch me. Im also thinking of wearing a mask when visiting the spots, in case they put up photo/video traps.

another risky thing is gonna be the transport. you can absolutely not use the train because of the smell. me and my grow buddy are gonna use bikes, but maybe we would rather use a car if we had one... police seem to think that cyclists have less important business to do and are more likely to pull them over without much fo a cause I believe. make sure that your vehicle is in shape and do not break any traffic laws when transporting your weed! try to look as inconspicuous and adapted as possible... look liek a rich nerd or yuppie or something. suits are great, but look funny when youre riding a bike or carrying a large bag. btw I recently had an idea - you could use a large instrument case (cello, double bass) to stuff your bagged harvest in if youre gonna transport it through an area and at a time where transporting an instrument remotely makes sense. people who play those instruments are generally considered to be less likely to break the law than people who carry large bags/rucksacks... ;)

oh and another thing - always work in the rain. much less people out then, less visibility and the noise also comes in handy - cant hear footsteps or whipsering. darkness can also be good, but you must not use lights to see your plants - youre less visible during the day than at night with a light on you. its a good thing really that both planting time and especially harvest time are pretty rainy at least where I live... and if it isnt rainy when I plan on harvesting, then I can just let my plants ripen longer, since the rain is what causes mold and subsequently forces harvesting.

7. Thanks for the great advice!
    I'll definitely read up on outdoor growing and explore a bit and see if I can find a good spot. :wave: