Space Blankets

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by surr, Oct 28, 2010.

1. So I saw some space blankets or "camping" blankets at walmart, i bought them and put them on my walls in my grow room. The material is aluminized polyester. Im having some temp issues....Do you guys think its creating more heat in the room than mylar would?
    Quick responses would be nice!!!

PIC [​IMG]

2. Yes, they are meant to keep heat in. Mylar would not increase the heat in your area as much. Find a way to vent it, or use a different material.

Good luck.

3. Those space blankets are designed to hold in heat, and they are not designed for reflecting light. They actually let light pass through them. Flat bright white would be more reflective.

4. Alright, i'll take it down and find some real mylar. Thanks guys! Ill let you know if it drops the temps :smoke:

5. While the space blankets are designed to hold heat, if you have good ventilation then you should not have heat issues just because of those blankets. But I'll never try to talk someone out of putting up mylar...

6. I took my blankets down, added another 12" fan. With both lights on my temps are still too high....around 90F. Maybe a little A/C unit would do the trick?

7. You're using CFLs, and that space looks way large enough, so something else is at work here. What is your ventilation situation -- do you have actual ventilation, meaning intake of cool fresh air and exhaust of warm air, or do you have a fan in an enclosed space that is just blowing the same hot air around?

8. I've got a fan blowing hot air out the top, and a passive intake for fresh air. I let it run since last night and my temps are at 84F and 45% humidity, so I think im good. Maybe another passive intake hole would do the trick. :smoke:

9. That temp is just under the line, but it still sounds higher than it should be for that number of lights in a the space shown in your pics. In any event, g'luck and hope it stays under the line for you.

10. Are you using any type of exhaust fan? What is the temperature of the room outside of the box?

11. #11 surr, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
    Alright so i've cut a couple holes, gonna draw fresh cold air from another room in the house directly into the grow room with negative pressure. Lets hope it works, im becoming annoyed. Pics when im finished.

12. I would say go with the small AC, heat ruined my first grow..