Southpark is losing it's edge to me

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by aKidYouWanaKnow, May 8, 2011.

1. Personally I watch all the major cartoons every week, they're all good in their own way. If you wanna have a go at something make it Bob's Burgers (though I don't think it's that bad either really).:smoke:
    Also, I understand they do come out with some that have nothing to do with current events every so often, but it's gonna be impossible to do that every week. Again, it'd just turn into rehashing old episodes. I'm sure Trey and Matt aren't gonna do that, they never follow the crowd.

2. South Park lost its edge when I was 14.

3. #43 bwood, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
    Code:

Lol...Except AD doesnt use shock value thats the thing...

South Parks foundation and the majority of its jokes are ALL shock value jokes.

South Park episodes are made in literally less then a week, so its easy to see why its not as consistently good as AD.

Saying south park does its jokes with taste has got to be the funniest thing ive heard all day.

4. I'm not saying ad is terrible I watch it every now and then but to say it doesnt rely on shock value cmon who are you trying to fool There was once an episode based on Stan jacking off cuz he had to put cream on his dong cuz his son accidentally burned his soldier with a sodering iron or how bout the racist jokes don't get me wrong I love racist jokes I hate people always trying to be politicly correct but if thats not for shock value then what is
    Definition of shock value
    Shock value is the potential of an image, text or other form of communication to provoke a reaction of disgust, shock, anger, fear, or similar negative emotion

5. What show doesnt use a little shock value.

South park is just a very old formula which uses shock value as its biggest ingredient, and hasn't changed a bit since day 1. O look Cartman called Kyle a jew again how funny...

With Trey and Matt focusing on broadway shows they should just end south park before it goes the route of The Simpsons.

6. #46 devilzlettuce, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Dude your the one saying ad doesn't use shock value and now youre saying "what show doesn't use a little shock value" cmon most of ad or any show created by Seth mcfarlene is all shock value thats his thing but not saying shock value is a bad thing I love it and your right southpark is getting old and isn't as good as it used to be but it's still better then half the shity "cartoons" on tv right

7. i just watched the new SP episode on the "canadian" royal wedding LOL. i'm canadian and i laughed my ass off.

maybe that's why though, it was just so damn ridiculous, especially the end had me in tears.

8. American Dad is an anomaly when it comes to Macfarlane shows. Theres also a huge difference between having a handful of shock value jokes and having an entire episode fueled purely by them like on SP.

Im not defending any other shows by Seth cause the rest of them are pretty shit. AD is easily the best thing hes ever done.

Speaking of shock value and cartoons, Archer is probably the best execution of that kind of comedy out right now.

9. Adventure Time is pretty sweet.

10. #50 devilzlettuce, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Gotta admit acher is awesome but I still think the first couple seasons of family guy are way better then any season of ad

11. a dude jacking off isn't even in the same league of 'shock value' as south park.

stan (in sp) jacked off ... a dog. Straight away that's on another level of shock value.

Family guy is obviously based on shock value though, pretty much on par with sp but american dad definitely is not. In my opinion, ofcourse.

12. It started to suck after 1996. Which I'm guessing is before most of you were born?

13. I'm guessing you're trying to say it's always sucked (with that being the year it started)? lol
    I grew up with South Park, it came out when I was 9 years old. Chances are I've been influenced by it on many occasions. That explains a lot...:smoke:

14. Awwwwkreeeeed! You need to watch the human centipede bro cause the sp ep of it was funny shit hell south park is always funny maybe you need to smoke more those 2 will never not be funny although nothing compares to the old episodes the new stuff is still funnier then anything on tv in the past couple years.

15. By the way SP makes fun of real things in every episode that is part of their genius it is just more obvious right now but if you did not know they poke fun at the shut on earth all the time then you never really were a fan :/

16. All I'm saying it was one of the most original, while also still being pretty naive as most shows are in their earliest seasons. My problem with the show after the first few is that every single episode is a lame parody of whatever is popular at the moment. Very little creativity goes into it.

17. Just because it parodies current events doesn't mean lack of creativity. Well, I suppose it does. But the end result is still an amazing show. Look at Beavis and Butthead, that took zero creativity to think up, and the technical aspects of it are retro as hell now. Doesn't mean you don't see people loving BnB like they have for years.

Something shouldn't be judged based on complexity or creativity, it should be judged on it's final product. How does it all work well together. French Vanilla Ice cream is not going to break any molds in the near future, and it isn't very complex, nor is it creative, but with a little chocolate syrup and maybe a banana or two, you got a delicious dairy treat.

That's how I see it at least. :smoke:

18. I respect your opinion but, the way I see it is this: the masses will flock to the dumbest shit available.

That's why when you turn on the TV or the radio, you get what you see/hear.

19. You cannot compare entertainment in music to what is on the T.V.. the t.v is not meant to have some complex shit constantly it is just a time to sit down and enjoy whats on. Cmon man not everything needs to designed for a super genius just get high and watch some dumbass cartoons.

Now then T.V can be stupid but music IMO should have more genius to it thats when I like to get my brain going I dont like to get my brain going while chillin on a coach blazed as fuck watching tv.

South park is genius though if you look past the simple fact of them just making fun of what is well known today.

20. South Park makes important commentaries about the world we live in. The doomsday scenarios show how illogical some decisions that we make, as well as the conclusions we reach, can be. It's a vital show, I believe.