source of browning leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by chris bee, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hi, my names Chris. I'm new to growing and this is my first post but have done a fair amount of research so I know a little about what I'm doing. I just got back from a 4 day cruise and found that alot of the bottom leaves on my plants and some of the middle ones are starting to get brown spots that are spread out over the leaves. The 3 causes that pop into to my head are too much light, too much nutients, or too little water. I've done some troubleshooting and don't think any of those are the problems, so if anyone has other suggestions it would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

2. It sounds like too much Nitrogen (N).
    Any pics ???

Freak
    :smoke:

3. I'll have to try and figure out how to post pictures but I'll try to have them up by later today.

4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the quality, I have my digital camera loaned out and took these with my phone. But I've actually clipped off the top sections on 4 of the 5 plants and trimmed the bottom 2 sets of leaves on all 5 plants, therefor removing most of the sick leaves, but I'd deffinitly still like to get to the bottom of whats causing this. Same as before, any help is greatly appreciated.

5. Hi.

The plants, especially the 3 on the right are starting
    to suffer from Nitrification.

This occurs when there is an overabundance of
    Nitrogen (N). Its too much for the young plants
    so it starts to chemically burn them.

U can see a big difference in how plants react to
    (N) by your pics. The 2 on the left are the proper
    colour IMO. The 3 on the right are very dark green.

The tips of the blades are also clawing, which
    confirms my diagnosis.

They look to be ready to move to bigger homes,
    so I suggest u get some new soil, and cut down
    on the amount of N until they are a bit older.

Hope this helps.

Freak

6. Yeah, it helps alot. I'm still trying to figure out the entire nutrients side of growing. If you don't mind me asking, how much nutrients would you suggest I use? Right now I'm using sensi grow part A and part B, I was using 25% of the reccomended amount from the time they were seedlings untill around a week and a half old when I bumped it up to 50%. They are around 2 1/2 weeks old now.

7. The plants look nice and healthy - dont get me wrong.

Id go back down to the 25 percent level.
    The burn will get worse unless u do.

On your nutrient label there should be a series of 3 numbers.
    First is Nitrogen (N). Second is Phosphorous (P). Third is Potassium (K).
    What is the N ratio ???

This might sound scary, but its not. Dont sweat it. Nitrogen is a very tricky element.
    Once the plants get a bit older, they will be screaming for it, but for now - back off.

Soon enough, u will be able to tell what the plant wants, or doesnt want,
    by just a look at what theyre communicating to you.

Remember this look - commit it to memory.

Freak

8. With the formula I use, it takes equal doses of part A and part B.

Part A- Nitrogen 3.00%
    Calcium 5.20%
    Iron 0.12%
    Manganese 0.05%

Part B- Nitrogen 2.50%
    Phosphate 2.20%
    Potash 5.70%
    Magnesium 1.00%

And I would be using 50% of that right now. I just went ahead and added a gallon of water to the reservoir (originally 4 gallons mixed with nutrients) and will do a complete water change with 25% nutrients tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

9. And deffinitly putting plants into some planters this weekend!!

10. Sounds good bro. All the best.

Freak