sounds like a good idea

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by cannon, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ok so i have this idea. im stuck with not alot of verticle space to grow. ive been thinking of ways i could grow with this space. i thought up an idea ive never heard of what if u take 6 inch pvc pipe and cut it to fit my grow box. cap one end and put an elbow on the other. make drainage holes at the bottom and watering holes at the top. fill it with soil and plant a plant. would this work? i made a shitty drawing of it. im not sure if the roots would penetrate and grow horizontally.

my other idea was to just cut a peice of 6 inch pvc to fit growbox. cap both ends cut a large in the top and two watering holes anddrainage holes in the bottom. fill with soil and grow the plants. would either of these ideas work?

2. Ur trying to save space on the root end of ur girls? I'm not experienced myself, but iv seen a hydro system built from inverted 2ltr bottles with the cap ends screwed into pipe for flooding in an issue of HT mag years ago. The author reported that the roots actually grew down into the piping itself with no adverse affects. I'd image a soil system would just quickly become rootbound and stunt her growth. I'm assuming u intend to grow into a screen to manage vertical growth and u'd probably run into this problem before the mesh filled. However with a hydro rig this would probably function. I'm a soil man myself but the hydro guys can probably give u abit more advice from experience. Interesting thought, I'm currently working on the opposite problem: i've loads of height but a tiny surface area. Lots of us are suffering from space issues, you definitely should read some of the scrog posts as this method saves a massive amount of vert space:) I believe nearly any space can be turned green if you apply the correct tactics. And that is what we're all about!

3. yea thank you. i only have about a foot and a half of verticle space( give or take a couple inches) and i was thinking about the scrog method but soil and scrog dont mix too well. i have to transplant my plants one more time before harvest and i dont wanna have to deal with untangling them in the mesh. i most def wanna try hydroponics but i need to do a lot of research and between goign to school everyday and working 40 hours a week i wouldnt have enought time to give it the attention it needs. but yea i think i may just try my idea just because if it does work it would save me sooooo much space. if it works ill post pictures up.

4. Bad idea.
    Imagine a square with a circle drawn inside it, with the circle touching the insides of the square. Like in this picture:
    [​IMG]

See all the spaces around the circle?
    That's space you're wasting with your idea.
    If you're lacking in height, just make sure your pots are wide.
    They can still be low and hold alot of roots.