Sound Card + Video Card?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Sublime, Dec 5, 2016.

1. So I have this problem where my video card takes up the slot beside it and it just barely hovers against the last PCI slot. The fan of the graphics card is unfortunately facing in this direction, and due to just how close it is, it's impossible to put the sound card in there with my graphics card. However, I'm obviously not going to get rid of a kick-ass graphics card over a sound card. But at the same time, I'm desperately in need of a sound card, so I can't just not have one.... How can I make this work?

Is it POSSIBLE? Or do I need to get a new motherboard entirely? Or can I mcguyver my way out?

DON'T HAVE TO READ BELOW THIS, but if you do, it'll give you a back story as to WHY I want to try out this sound card and my experience with new sennheisers.

The reason being is I'm thinking the current on-board soundcard sucks ass. There's no EQ settings and I can't do anything cool with my sound. Also, there's an annoying ringing sound which is common for Asus mobo sound cards. Anyways, I bought new headphones, Sennheisers, and I've heard NOTHING but good things about them. I got them and was very sadly disappointed. Not only did they sound like a cheap pair of headphones, they also just aren't coming to my liking.

I was thinking it was one of a few things. One thing that's possible is because I chose closed back version. From what I heard, the closed back has different drivers than the open back. This could be the difference that I'm not liking. Another possibility is my sound card is just whack and the Sennheiser just doesn't like it. Lastly, it could just be this specific type of Sennheiser's that just aren't as good - 598HD. I was going to get Sennheiser 363 or 373D w/ 7.1 virtual surround sound after I heard so much good things about how well they did surround sound virtually, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra hundo. However, if anyone with experience in Sennheiser's can help me out here, I'd really like to enjoy what everyone else is enjoying!!!

My MAIN problem so far with these Sennheisers are 1) they sound again, like a cheap pair of headphones. 2) The drums in every track always seem to be lacking and don't sound right. 3) It SOUNDS like I'm listening to something off a PC Headphone.... I don't want it to SOUND like I am, I want the sounds to sound realistic, I don't know how to explain this but this goes hand in hand with the cheap sounding pair.

2. Cant you get an external sound card?

3. I personally wouldnt get multi-driver headphones, you risk destructive interference (the same phenomenon that noise canceling headphones utilize).

Try to play some audio on your phone and see if they sound better?

Are you stuck with those headphones?

Are they mainly for gaming, music, movies?

4. Buy a new computer with cutting edge sound and vid cards. Good luck!

5. Why didn't I think of this????? I was going to try another computer. LOL. That totally works too. I just did that and I edited the equalizer and some boost settings and it sounds 1000x better than it does right now on my PC. I'm jealous of my phone's sound quality, LOL.

So, now that that's determined, will a new sound card be the solution? I'm going to have to tweak EQ and if there's boost settings, I'll have to use them for optimum results. I found a pretty crappy version of an EQ but no options at all, just an EQ alone. I wish my onboard audio had more options.

6. No, I was thinking of returning them and getting the Open Back instead since I don't mind noise leaks necessarily since these will be at home.

And they're mainly for music and movies. Definitely not gaming.

7. That's what I'm referring to. My external sound card would go in the PCI slot. However.... My graphics card blocks the PCI slot. Therefore, I can't use it. If the fan were just facing the other side..... And I have the sound card right here. It's a nice one.

8. "You can polish a turd but its still shit"

You cant eq shitty sound and make it better per se.

9. External use USB, at least some of them if not all.

10. Well, I think EQ helps A LOT. I'm very very good at EQ, I've done it for years with audio programs editing audio. So I just utilize the right frequencies and raise the dB for certain frequencies, to basically boost the sound of certain ranges of sound. I personally like louder drums and vocals.

Well that's fantastic, I wish I had one! this was one I had laying around from a long time ago when I COULD use it. It's still like new and it's definitely needs a PCI slot. It's a SoundBlaster.

11. Why don't you just get a DAC+Amp?

12. Creative makes a kickass USB sound card. I keep it as a back up and have used it in several laptops that had shit for sound.

What mobo and video card are you using?

13. Because those cost a pretty penny. at least a decent one. I've actually seriously been debating getting them. but I seriously don't have 250 dollars to drop on them either. the modi 2 and the uber headphone amp same brand. not exactly the cheapest route. sound cards are much cheaper. however, I ordered a Soundblaster sound card USB and tried it and while it DID improve audio....It still wasn't as good as my other current device I use as a sound card (I was trying to get away from it since it's causing noise, tho it could very well be my end on the USB ports. not entirely out of the question! it was either Soundblaster or Plantronics but it costed me a pretty penny on its own. 100 dollars.