Sooner than later?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by KillaByte, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Is it just me or has there been a lot of more overage on MMJ and weed in general? I have a feeling that this is the beginning of legalization. I'm going to be a skeptic and say within the next 5 years it will be legal.

What are GC's thoughts?

2. I'm skeptical. Yes MMJ has been getting more coverage lately because there are more politicians, advocates and information out there now than ever before. It was only a matter of time. But coverage doesn't mean anything will ultimately be done about it. We'll have to keep waiting, I suspect. I'm guessing it'll take at least another decade for MMJ to become widely accepted across the US, not just in a handful of states. And that will be a good step, but from there... who knows. I've lost most of my faith in the political system though, so I'm not holding my breath... (unless I'm taking a hit :bongin:)

3. Hah actually this is how i felt during the summer. More and more news debates were coming in every day, and at the peak of it the MPP made a great legalization commercial that aired on tv, and for some reason the coverage went all downhill from there (imo). But recently this past week there has been plenty of news media coverage, i dont know if it was always there and people are just posting it now or that there is more coverage in general but the statistics don't lie, the percentage of people in favor of legalized MMJ and MJ are higher than ever before in several decades, the issue is quite active, very promising

4. I just hope Canada catches on!

5. if everyone just waits around nothing will change,
    if you truly want change, you have to do something about it
    and get yourself involved, not sit on your ass and wait

6. The science behind the benefits of both cannabis and hemp have been around for decades, and has grown substantially since then. Now people just need to get informed. Other than that, we can only wait and vote when possible. What else would you suggest? How many billions of dollars do you have to oppose the pharmaceutical/prison lobbyists who don't want to see marijuana become legal?

It's easy to post about taking action on an internet forum.

7. A lot will depend on what happens in November 2010 and 2012. If California legalizes in 2010, the federal government will have to decide how to respond. That will really determine a lot about how the next 2-6 years play out.

Best case scenario is that California legalizes, the Feds say 'it's a local choice and we will respect it', as they did with MMJ recently, and in 2012 Obama is either re-elected or the new president decides to, at minimum, continue his policies. If that is the case, we essentially have the next seven years to build public support for MMJ and ending prohibition. States will need to figure out effective regulation and enforcement schemes to reassure the undecided that ending prohibition isn't going to have significant negative consequences, and that the regulatory schemes will be able to do an adequate job of keeping weed away from minors. In 2016, we would be looking at a president who is terming out and who can point to years of good results from state level efforts. I think there is a very good chance in that case that federal action might happen.

Worse case scenario is not that California doesn't pass their bill, but that they do and it triggers a federal crackdown. Obama could feel compelled to take action in order to preserve federal regulatory power, or be pressured into it by allegations that he is selectively enforcing the law- a lot depends on how strong his position is with regards to re-election in 2012. If conservatives take over Congress in the midterm elections, they could strip federal funding from states that don't keep cannabis illegal. In 2012 we get another pro-prohibition president who resumes raids on MMJ growers and patients. In that scenario, we are in a worse position in 2012 than we were a couple years ago.

Get registered. Vote. Don't cast a single vote for any candidate who won't publicly state that they are in favor of allowing the states to make their own decisions on cannabis prohibition. Talk to voting-age friends about doing the same. Use the MPP mail form to send letters to your senators and reps about federal policy and legislation.

In seven or eight years we could either be buying legal bud from the corner 7-11, or watching cancer patients and their care givers go into hiding.

8. The MMP mail form is a great suggestion. Another is to sign up with the DPA Drug policy Alliance.

9. qfmft!

10. The fact that we even have to put up with this chicken shit bull shit is extremely fusterating.

11. I just finished watching an about 15 minute debate on the Nbc network on Sunday Morning. Every single person from every single political party had ideas ranging from complete decrminilization of marajuna to ending the drug war. All six people at the table from multiple politcal partys.