something I've always wondered...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by psuwrestler99, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Why when your plants are about 3 weeks from harvest ready, when you smell the buds on the plant, they have some odor. But when you touch the buds with your finger and smell your finger, the skunk smell is ridiculously strong?

2. Good question. This is because when you touch it, you are crushing tiny trichomes (the crystals), which release oil onto your hand which possesses the true dank smell you speak of.

3. Nice. You would think I would've known that by now.

4. lol, either way, you do know :)

5. I remember when I would do bag seeds. And after I touched them if they smelled like skunk I was happy, if they smelled more fruit I knew it was probably reg.

6. What is it that would make a bud to actually lose its smell? About 3-4 weeks ago my buds were smelling nice. Now they dont have much smeel to them at all and I even dried some buds and even after being in a jar for 2 weeks it still doesnt have much of a smell to it. Could there be a problem with not enough phosporus at the later stages of the plants life cycle ? :confused:

7. #7 psuwrestler99, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    That's just part of the curing process. Generally after 3-4 weeks in the jar that fresh cut grass/hay smell begins to go away, and the dank smell starts to take over.

8. If it doesnt have smell after that then there still chemicals left in the bud or they were overdried.

9. #9 trchd1, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011
    I have been using a very large cardboard box for my drying area. I placed a mini dehumidifyer in the box to keep humidity down to around 50-55 % I only run it for 8-10 hours on then 8-10 hrs off. I am trying to be carefull as to not overdry by doing test doobies and by feel. Usually about 7 days

Do you think the dehumidifyer is drying it too much and sucking out all the flavor???

10. Thats what im thinking, its possible. try it just in a dark room, also dont have a fan blowing straight on them. good luck