Something I noticed about drums...

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by korkow, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Well I'm a guitarist, and I typically don't really pay much attention to drums in a song unless I'm high. But when I'm high I absolutely love drums because it's so easy to pretend that you are playing them. Then I realized that this is because it's the only instrument that is recorded so that you can tell the location of every sound. I'm actually not high right now, but this still makes sense:

It's because most songs have the drums recorded with location in mind, meaning the snare is somewhat to your left, the bass drum directly below, the high-hat to your left, and all the other parts are recorded in such a way that it sounds like it is in the same place as if you were sitting right behind the set. This is why it's so easy to mimic playing the drums somewhat accurately, because you can actually HEAR where the location of each drum should be. You can't tell where the guitar frets are, you can't hear where the note is on the keyboard, but you CAN hear where the drum is on the drum kit. Awesome.

2. it would explain why i can play the drums really good on rockband.

3. Drums are easily the most distiguishable instrument, for me that is. When I hear a song, 4 seconds later I could play it back to you on.