some totally noob questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by anonzymuz, Feb 23, 2007.

1. alright, i just have a few dumb questions to ask before i start reading on all the million FAQ pages.. I'm looking to grow inside an empty computer case.. the I will be using 2 fans for intake / exhaust.. the light i will be using is a 8000K HID kit from a car (im a car guy).. the ballast requires 12v supply..

few questions i have..
    1. can i use the computer supply 12v to power up ballast?
    2. it would be too easy to germinate a seed then drop it in some soil? or is that possible.. I was planning to have the bottom portion of the pot sitting in a pool of water with a bubbler in it to promote carbon and i figured the HID light temperature will evap the water and form good humidity..
    3. how much can be grown in such a tiny case..

i know, im a total noob, but this was my first impression of growing.. i will adjust accordingly.. lol

ALSO, i know its a good idea to line the inside the case with something reflective such as FOIL, but can I line the inside of the computer with MIRRORS???

thanks
    anony

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. iv heard of people growing in computer cases before but i cant really understand it. unless you start flowering the day it sprouts or something. a plant can double in size during flowering and you sure as hell wont wanna trim it then. also i dont think your light would be strong enough/ too far away, you want to have it just inches from the plant so it doesnt stretch.
    i would say just make one out of wood or cardboard. compact flourescent lights work realy good and their like $5. i would suggest getting 2 of the highest watt full spectrums you can. either have the lights adjustable or stack stuff under the plant.
    long post

3. Sup man?
    I'm a noob too, but I think I can answer a few of these.
    1.The 12V power supply. You need the correct amperage to operate it properly. You need to check the specs and what is required for power, volts and amps. Do not try to operate if you are OFF ON ANY SPEC OK?

2. There are lots of threads on germination. I did it by soaking seeds 24 hours in a glass of water in the dark, then planted them 1/4 inch in the soil I bought. Others have different methods, but I haven't tried those ways.

3. Very hard to say. You didn't say size. Is it a typical ATX case? If so, my guess is not a lot. If you have a big ass server box, probably a little more...yield is not easy to guess at bro.

The mirror question, I have no clue. I was disuaded from tin foil. Made my room hot and burned leave tips.

Hope that was helpful.

4. mirrors dont really work to reflect the light because it has to pass through the glass which kills the light

5. thanks you guys.. any more help or advice would be great.. but to the last person who said mirrors wouldnt work, how come you said i would lose light? i would thinkt hat a mirroe would reflect more ight that any other reflective surfaces... i think ill try to germinate the way u told me to island.. sounds easy enough.. and yes this will be in a atx case.. if u guys dont know, the HId bulb is VERY VERY VERY bright..

6. use mylar instead if foil

7. well_A_ive_just_believed_that_the_glass_on_the_mirrors_messed_the_waves_of_the_light_or_something_
    of_the_sort_which_would_render_the_light_useless.

8. There are a few computer case grow journals in ICMAG, check them out:
    http://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65545

If you are a heavy smoke then consider growing inside something else other than a PC case. The yield will be low (15g-ish and some hash oil you can make from the leaves).

9. well I would scrap the hid im a car guy also have you seen how much power they take? and how hot they get I would def not go with the hids I have some on my swapped accord and they get pretty hot