Some thoughts on Seasoned...

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by recondite, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes this has been discussed before, but the issue still exists and so deserves more discussion.

I find it rather discouraging to find pages and pages of deleted threads every time I look at Seasoned Tokers. Not only is it visually and ergonomically unappealing, I'm sure a lot of posters are left feeling alienated by all the deleted threads.

I am all for a section that is dedicated to insightful, provoking, intellectual discussion about marijuana, but it's obvious there is confusion on what type of content seasoned should contain. It's also obvious that stoners are a gregarious and impulsive bunch that create a lot of new threads of questionable merit. So I appreciate the mods trying to keep the boards neat and threads logically separated, but... Seasoned has been like it is now for quite some time, and it's pretty clear that constantly clearing the board isn't a very effective way to control its content. Must be a huge headache for the mods.

One of the simplest improvements would be renaming the forums to more clearly describe what they should contain. Let's face it, everyone wants to chill with the "seasoned tokers" and being an apprentice toker isn't nearly so appealing. How about "Intellectual Lounge" and "Herbal Questions and Tips," respectively. Something like that. No status stigma attached.

This is a huge forum, with a lot of different facets of grass to discuss. I think the splitting of whatever-it-used-to-be-called into Toking Tools, Stash Jar, and Incredible, Edible was a good move that improved the quality of this site. Those are straight-forward names.

I saw WildWill posted a while back that the subforum names/descriptions would be changing to more accurately reflect their type of content. I don't know if that happened... but "Been puffin' for a while? This spot is for our truly experienced smokers. If you're a seasoned toker, please share your vast knowledge of the herb and discuss your adventures with Mary Jane in this forum with other seasoned tokers." implies that the criterion for posting there is the amount of time you've been smoking, and nothing about content.

Or how about hiding the entries for deleted/moved threads? I realize that might require a software modification, but the visual clutter is the main reason I take issue with all the moderation.

2. As has previously been mentioned, there's no way to turn off the remnants of a deleted thread, plus we need those anyway.

With moved threads I usually do the old expiring notice that goes away in an hour or so.

Nothing new on the new forum descriptions or names at this time. RMJL will have to chime in on that.

And we really wouldn't have this issue if our users (whom we love, don't forget) would realize that "Seasoned" really should read "old cranky fogeys who don't wanna read about getting caught by mommy, smoking resin or any other that nonsense". ;-)

3. I never go in the seasoned tokers thread. I actually think that section is pure garbage.
    A bunch of pointless stickies and deleted threads.

Seriously though, who cares about the smoker of 10 years? Does that make him more knowledgeable than the grower of 5 years? No. I've met old heads who have been smoking for years but don't know shit about the plant.

I think the seasoned toker's forum should be time activated depending on how long you've been a member. I don't know if that's possible but the whole seasoned tokers section as it is now is pretty retarded.

4. Thanks for the comments. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.