Some say that pot brings out the unconscious mind...i think that this idea is faulty.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by freelyfallin, May 16, 2007.

1. Pot exaggerates emotions. It doesn't bring out hidden parts of yourself. It makes you see things differently from your normal brain state because you're just seeing everything from a different vantage point to your normal brain state.

My friend used this metaphor, which is apt:

Apply the same logic that says marijuana brings out your subconscious to another drug, say, caffeine.

Does taking caffeine unleash your agitated inner self, or does it elevate certain brain chemicals?

Do you all agree?

I think this helps to frame the experiences that I have had while high.

2. well man, i started smoking bout a year and a half ago, and ill admit, i used to be mostly a passive type of person like i never would rele fight or defend myself to much

but i started smoking, started listening to more n more music, and i came to realize so much shit one time

i realized bitches aint worth your time they just want to flirt and play u out
    i realized i need to stop being a bitch and defend myself
    i realized i need to stop caring bout what people say so much
    i realized i need start not giving a fuck if people r mad at me

i realized a lot and its been like this for a while so i dont tihnk its only wen im high, cuz thats just my attitude now

3. yeah man, that's awesome. but all of what you realized doesn't involve your subconscious, y'know? all of those things are conscious decisions that you made after you were high because of what you experienced while you were high.

4. I dont agree with this. This is why. This is an excerpt of "Resurection of the Higher Self'. It's an interview with one of the members of the World Mind Society.

So taking this logic, if you dont see it as a tool to explore your conciousness, obviously you arent going to.

5. yea, weed definalty makes u change ur views on things, and how u think. like, before i started smoking, i wanted people to like me, and stay out of trouble, and get good grades. after i started really gettin into weed, i was like if people dont like me, they can suck my dick, if theres a situation were i might get in trouble, im more likely to do it, and realized i should just pass everything, and not worry about doin great, cause its just a "material" thing

6. i dont want to say that music like changed my life but this one eminem song, its rele old, its call if i had, i heard this song man one day high and i just had a reality check, that happens to me a lot, shit will happen and prompts me to rethink my views or my positions

7. i do agree with that quote. however, you CAN transform yourself consciously...by looking at your life from a different perspective. think about it like this:

marijuana allows you to see things differently-but you're still looking at the same things. y'know? it's all about perspective. it's like a book. you're looking at the same book you always do, but reading it with a different interpretation that enhances or changes its meaning. you're not actually looking at anything new-like a whole different book(your subconscious).

does that make sense?

8. Yes, it does. And I agree with this. But what Ive seen with me, is that certain things that I have long forgotten pops into my head. Im not saying that your subconscious is dominating, but it has made its presence known. I believe it brings dormant thoughts to the surface, which aid in the self exploration. Marijuana doesnt allow you to literally explore your mind, yet it allows thoughts to flow more freely and, of course, changes your perception on life. What Im saying is that you dont see things differently, you think things differently.

9. that's an interesting point. i would say, though, that BECAUSE you are thinking differently, you remember something that seems somewhat similar to what's going on presently and this occurs because your thoughts/feelings/senses are enhanced.

for example, i remember once when i was high in this room i was living in for a summer. and i was looking at the ceiling, and all the sudden was reminded at the ceiling of the attic of the house i lived in growing up.

was this a subconscious thought that surfaced? i'd say not. just a memory that came easily due to similarities i percieved when high.

10. But isnt that your subconscious at work? You see something familiar and your brain automaticly associates it to something else, such as your past. Your subconscious is what allows you to do things without even thinking about it.

11. well caffine and THC/cannabinoids are different chemicals so you cant really compare the two.

12. wow. ^ that is a nearly perfect way of putting it. it is basically exactly how i feel about weed as well...

the thing is, even though I have realized this, almost everyone i know who smokes HASNT realized this....and i actually feel kinda bad for those people.....but its something that must be learned thru experience yourself, as it cant really be "taught".

13. 90% of communication is non-verbal

most people who have studied the sub-conscious will agree that a similarly high percentage of what we do is unconscious.

try sitting in a quiet room for 5 minutes and find out something new about yourself (when you're sober).

smoking too much weed is going to make your mind cloudier. But smoking can give you new areas of yourself to experience and therefore to shoot for if you liked, when sober.

If you think of weed as a tool, you can teach yourself how to use it. If you think of it as your favorite pair of glasses and leave them on too often, you may forget the lens that you look through.

14. I won't attribute to weed anything I've done or thought as such. Only it (might have) made me get there faster. Besides, being stoned is fun, no two ways about it. It is an enjoyable relatively harmless experience. That is quite enough for me.

I do however find it to help in creativity. But then again so do coffee. Now combine the two... :D

15. I feel the same, cannabis doesn't always have an influence on someones perspective and persiverence. I think It's more about how you feel at the current moment that contributes and affects your outlook and opinion. People use cannabis and other drugs as an excuse to have a change of character or actions way to often.