Some really trippy groove music (MMW)

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by rumandromanism, Jan 20, 2007.

1. I just got this bootleg of Medeski Martin & Wood. It's from December 23rd, 1994 at The Cooler in NYC. This is from the "Shack Man" days, and features avant-garde guitarist Marc Riobot.

This is the song "Friday Afternoon in the Universe"

Play and/or download it here

2. yeah MMW is awesome. I love the stuff they did when playing with scofield.

this track almost sounds like something by Sun Ra.

3. Medeski SCOFIELD Martin and Wood just finished touring, and have recently put out an album called "Out Louder". You should check it out, it's pretty good.

Most of MMW's live stuff is really out. Seeing them is an amazing experience. When the first note is struck, everyone in the audience lights up their bowls/joints/blunts/etc; it's a tradition.

If you like Sun Ra, you should check out John Coltrane's later stuff. "Meditations" and "Ascension" are two of my faovorite albums from this period.

4. hmm I'll definitely have to check out Out Louder

good tip on Coltranes albums, already got them ;)

5. Haha nice. It's cool to see someone else who's into free music. Do you like John Zorn? I have mixed opinions on him...some of his stuff is good, but a lot of it is pretentious junk.

6. I never really got into Zorn. I heard one good track at this random friend of a friend's house that I was at one time and since then everything I pick up of his I don't really like. I've pretty much ignored his music. too much noise without any meaning behind it.

7. I really like his Masada stuff. It has a Jewish klezmer feel to it melodically and tonally, but the drummer plays with a very funky feel. You should check out the cd "Live at Tonic".

However, I can't enjoy or listen to a lot of his more "hardcore" stuff. For example, I saw him on Dec 30th at the Stone. I HATED it, and it gave me a headache. It was an hour of squeaking with no rhythmic feel to it whatsoever. Waste of money, in my opinion.