some problems.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by blackmore, Dec 1, 2007.

1. hey, i have a few symptoms on my plant.
    hope you guys can diagnose it and give me some advice.

some background info

all three pics are of 3 different superskunks. 3.3 weeks vegging, 24/0, under 800W.
    feeding schedule depends on when soil feels dry.
    pH is 5.2-6.2
    i have given them ferts once, about 11 days ago. (1/5 of recommended dose)
    Lower (first node) leaves were yellowing, added Ammonium sulfate (0.8 to 1g/L) which solved it. (9 days ago)
    soil nutrient content: NPK = 2:2:3 (peatmoss)
    Fert content NPK = 14:10:27 (phostrogen brand)

1st pic is one of the first node leaves.
    2nd are second and first node leaves.
    3rd, most of the plant looks like that. (the dark veins and yellowing in between)

All plants are at their 6-7th node.

thanks for the help

Attached Files:

2. Well first off the correct pH in soil is between 6.2-6.8. At pH 5.2 you are way off. Second, peat moss as the only medium is not great because that stuff retains way too much water. Third, since the moss has a nutrient content, and you fertilized them, I would say you have slightly over fertilized plants.

3. Just a question, can you leave a plant at an incorrect PH level such as this one, bud it, and have it do fine but just have those yellowish places on it?

4. well, the pH range is 5.5 to about 6.8. 6.2 being ideal.
    as long as ur in this range your plant will be able to absorb nutrients.(+-0.2)
    A plant with mild sypmtoms can be made to bud and all. You should treat these symptoms as early warnings. some of these mutliply as time progresses. so you have to take care of em. it could be catastrophic later. and some just fade away with time.

ive concluded my plant problems are magnesium defieciencies.
    going to add some tomorrow.

5. No. If the pH is not reasonably close to the optimum level the plant will not be able to adequately absorb nutrients, so it won't "do fine". If it's far enough off that you're showing deficiencies in your leaves, especially at a young age, the there's a good chance that it will eventually kill the plant. Remember that nutrient deficiencies - caused either by pH imbalance or improper feeding - damage your plant's leaves, and the leaves are what the plant needs to produce food. As long as the deficiency exists the damage will continue to spread.

This is incorrect. The ideal pH for MJ in soil is 6.8. If you're growing in hydro then you're shooting for 5.5-5.8.

6. i dont agree, man.

The range for pH is broadly 5 to 7. within this range, nutrients are available to the plants.
    ideal for soil is "6.2" (im quoting ed rosenthal)

you are correct about the range for hydro. but soil, i think you are accidentally stating the max limit.
    6.8 is too close to neutral. if your plants are at this pH in soil, id say you are on the brink of nutrientblock.
    0.2-0.3 more (even accidentally) and your ferts will start getting deadlocked by hydroxide ions. i have read this (6.8) before on other posts, but i dont agree. :cool:

7. since when is peat soil?

8. Blackmore, I find it very interesting that you come on here with plant problems and when people try to help you, you don't like what they have to say and you disagree. Here's the thing, YOU are the one having problems with your plants, my plants look fine as do Help_Needed's plants. If Ed says 6.2 is optimal, get them to 6.2. The books [I have read them all] might say that 5-7 is fine, but let me tell you, in the real world, if the soil pH gets much below 6.2 there will be problems.

Your last picture quite possibly could be magnesium deficiency. It won't hurt to give them 1/2 tsp of Epsom salt per gallon, but I am telling you that the brown leaf trouble I circled in your picture below is not magnesium it is fert burn.

Attached Files:

9. WTF?...

ive read plenty of your posts man, and i know if someone told you something you know not to be true, you will correct him.
    is this something ONLY YOU are entitled to do?

i dont need your opinion if you cant keep yourself from putting other people down for no reason.
    you should keep "things you find interesting" to yourself.

and yes, i think its magnesium.

10. yo dudes, dudes, chill. i tried to load a ph chart but it wouldn't work. that chart indicates optimal ph levels @6.5 for soil and 5.8 for hydro. if i were in straight peat moss (which i would never do) i would lean more towards a hydro ph than a soil ph. anyway, this supposed to be fun!!!

11. growbot, i wouldnt mind taking a look at that chart ur talking about.

ill be adding epsom tomorrow. been having some trouble finding it. local shops ive tried so far dont carry any.
    is there an alternative, chemical or organic, source for Mg? im gonna look for lime aswell, but i want something that wont jack up my pH?