Solution for compost?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Joe89, Feb 26, 2013.

1. hello organic growers. so i am trying to put together an organic grow and have done some research and got tips from all of u helpful people. Ive done some searching around my area for the needed materials and the only thing that i cant get ahold of is EWC or any type of compost... Can compost be replaced with manure? i am kinda hesitant on shipping in EWC but i think it might be the most beneficial so with that said anyone know of any creditable sites that ship internationally?

2. Hi Joe. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find good castings/compost near by. But if you insist on shipping try fertilizeronline.com nice castings and rock dust too. Hope this helped.

Soigné

3. Joe, approximately where are you?

J

4. some island in the pacific ocean lol

even the homedepot here dont take orders for casting.. cant be shipped here i guess

5. And check this out Compost and Other Goodies From Craig's List

You'll have to determine if that works for you :)

Whassssup Chunk! :wave:

6. Hiya P!

We're so helpful but we didn't think that he may be in Guam or another Pacific Island.:eek:

7. Man, if that were the case I'd be composting Water Buffalo dung and have my own neem tree...

Hittin' the jungle for some forest floor humus...

J

8. I got a visual of Jerry hittin the jungle:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbI0cMyyw_M"]Creedence Clearwater Revival: Run Through The Jungle - YouTube[/ame]

9. #10 Joe89, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
    haha hit the nail on the head. alot of natural options here but im just noob idk what im looking for

also i am looking into making my own compost. homedepot sells a compost maker mix from my understanding i mix green cuttings / raw veg clippings and cow manure ?

ok so right now this is what my soil mix is looking like

Sphagnum peat moss
    garden lime
    kelp / neem meal
    dry organic Plant tone
    mix of rock dusts
    perlite

obviously im missing ewc/compost... can i add some deer/cow manure to this and will the soil be workable? prob wont be the best soil but will i be able to start with this?

10. can i add some deer/cow manure

Yes - as long as it has been composted, so you may be back to square one unless its been sitting for a few years?

Are there any local farms you could buy some well composted manure?

You did mention Home Depot - I'm not sure about your specific one but I've seen they sell compost too - even worm castings at some of them.

What you're looking for is broken down organic matter - leaves, manures, hay, produce; whatever, but it MUST be broken down to the point that you can't tell what it used to be anymore. If you want to make your own take a look here but remember it takes awhile -

Compost Made Easy

Do you have a local Craigslist? There is compost everywhere if you look look look.

This thread here will help you with your ratios for a soil mix - http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

Good luck. J

11. no local craigslist or that woulda been my first hit... for homedepot and other "graden stores" i ask for bagged compost and they have no idea or just say no we dont carry. home depot only has some kind of compost maker thats it. i will be making my own for the long run bc i plan on growing for years to come. but for my up and coming grow i guess i am gonna have to go with subpar substitute of some sort..

12. There simply MUST be some kinds of local farms you could start hitting up for your Vegetable Garden?

Those places almost always have some kinds of organic piles composting away that may have been there for years - and which definitely wouldn't be subpar...might be time to make a trip out into the country with some pails and a shovel...

J

13. Joe,

If you are indeed in Guam, get a hold of these folks to point you in the right direction. They should be able to put you in touch with a farm that has compost and/or vermicompost.

Guam Sustainable Agriculture Resource Page

14. I live in Guam, we have home depot here but when I looked last week, they were out of composting bins and were unsure what else they carried for composting.

15. It's going to take you way too long to make your own compost for this season - it will never be ready in time. The link I provided above from Mother Earth Newswill get you going to make your own compost for future grows but you simply don't have time to get it done right now if you want to start growing over the next several months.

You don't need a composting bin or anything else from Home Depot to get your own compost going either. While the bins are convenient and pretty they are not necessary.

If you want to mix a soil soon you need to find some local compost that's already done. Again, I highly suggest that you contact some of your local farms and start asking. Drop in on them and tell them you want to start a vegetable garden and I have no doubt that they will help you out. Farmers don't mind helping farmers.
    I guarantee that some of your local farms will have some old heaps of organic matter - manures/produce, whatever that have been sitting for awhile. Go for the stuff that's been sitting the longest that you cannot distinguish what it used to be and you will be all set.

By the way, I just looked through Chunks link that he posted above - excellent material.

J

16. There is humus galore on the jungle floor!!

17. thanks for all the input. much appreciated