Solipsism - The theory that nothing exists but your own consciousness...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Senior PoopiePants, May 9, 2013.

1. Yep, there would be so much difference between knowing ourselves as all that is, and experiencing ourselves as the limited linear ego, so the only reason to do something like that would be:

Fun, joy, learning, realising, loving, sharing, being, growing, doing, things that take time, in time, with time, rather than have them exist just by imagining them. How different does it feel doing something you love, and doing something you love with somebody else who loves it too? That can only happen in time. The joy of the journey, the discovery, of realising and experiencing something, can only come about if the thing is not quite here now, but will be.

I've come across the idea that we are One consciousness experiencing itself for the purpose of its own joy. In manifesting more than one, it creates something that becomes more than the sum of its parts, more than was there before doing so. The Universe evolves itself.

2. Its all to do with perception...and the senses through which we perceive the world.

We don't see an object, we see the light it reflects..which is subject to manipulation and varies person to person.

I might be part of some experiment...just a brain hooked up to a computer.. or ..an AI simulating humanity.

There's no way to prove that anything other than the thoughts I have are actually real.

Or so the theory says.

3. Even what we think are our thoughts might not be what we think they are either.

4. Of course it can't be all fun and games unfortunately. In order to experience love and all that good stuff, there's a balance. Though we essentially choose what we experience, we experience the opposite in order for it to have the right impact.

5. Well I can say that I exist ..even though I can't prove in what form.. I think, therefore I am.

6. But from where those thoughts come might not be from where you thought they were.

7. Doesn't matter what form. You exist. That's not something that's in question. Nor is there a question of you ever NOT existing, although you might take on another form maybe.

The reason why we must always continue to exist, is because existence, by definition, can never be non-existence. Non-existence does not exist, therefore if existence exists, what exists must always continue to do so in some form.

8. What is fun and joyous for one will not necessarily be felt the same for another, but what we each experience as joy can become all that life is. The balance as you call it, that is needed to create balance, is always only another perspective, so what happens when what was previously resisted becomes something that can be accepted? No more suffering. All is learning. All is life.

If we choose what we experience, then there must be a point to experiencing it. There must also be a way of not needing or wanting to experience certain things again, as a result of learning something from them. If we move closer towards the idea of perfection, whatever that means, then what once caused so much difficulty and pain now becomes second-nature. The ability to transcend our old consciousness changes what was previously seen as this or that, into this AND that, and finally to this IS that.

9. LOL. Good one

10. #50 Boats And Hoes, May 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
    And that's exactly my whole thing with solipsism... it attest to the fact that whatever it is that's either denying or accepting a solipsistic outlook is not something which we can know formally, by way of the five senses, i.e., the thinking thing is something different, in terms of its properties, than mundane matter. The "I" is something which lies outside of the confines of this rigid 3-d dimensional reality we experience by way of our mundane senses, i.e., sensory experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Solipsism allows one to discover the reality that transcendent knowledge is something legitimate, and not something to be brushed off so easily -- for defining reality in strictly empirical terms is something which leads to soo many contractions and inconsistencies.

12. Q: What did the bully say to the solipsist?
    A: Stop hitting yourself.

Person 1: Any plans for the weekend?
    Person 2: I'm having a solipsist convention.
    Person 1: That sounds cool, can I come?
    Person 2: Well if you existed, I wouldn't be having it.

Q: What did one solipsist say to the other solipsist?
    A: I'm surprised there are not more people who agree with us.

:p

13. #53 lonew0lf420, May 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
    I believe in it, reality is the reflection of conscious perception. I am convinced that reality is composed of what you think it is so if you change the way you think about reality than your reality will slowly adapt to you expectations 

14. It's so god damn frustrating some times, what we choose. I know what I choose. Sometimes it's right there. In front of me. A choice. That's all it is. This or that. But this is that. What am I choosing this or that if this is that? Maybe it's not the choice but where I'm going, where I already am. Maybe it is the choice, I don't know. What I do know is what's laid out in front of me. I do know I look one way and wish for it. I do know I look where I am and realize that there are real reasons beyond my ego as to why I am where I choose to remain. I do know that I am afraid. Afraid of not being able to go back. I do know I already cannot do back. I know forward. I know the comfortable choice, the baggage that accompanies it. I do know I'm afraid to trust, that which is before me. It's so frustrating.

I get glimpses. Moments where I look in to it all. It's so overwhelming. Oh god. It's so much. I yearn so much. Yet I pine. I have no confidence. Humility. Fuck!

15. It's so god damn frustrating some times, what we choose. I know what I choose. Sometimes it's right there. In front of me. A choice. That's all it is. This or that. But this is that. What am I choosing this or that if this is that? Maybe it's not the choice but where I'm going, where I already am. Maybe it is the choice, I don't know. What I do know is what's laid out in front of me. I do know I look one way and wish for it. I do know I look where I am and realize that there are real reasons beyond my ego as to why I am where I choose to remain. I do know that I am afraid. Afraid of not being able to go back. I do know I already cannot do back. I know forward. I know the comfortable choice, the baggage that accompanies it. I do know I'm afraid to trust, that which is before me. It's so frustrating.

I get glimpses. Moments where I look in to it all. It's so overwhelming. Oh god. It's so much. I yearn so much. Yet I pine. I have no confidence. Humility. Fuck!

</blockquote>Until it really feels like this IS that, which is not easy, it remains this or that, and so you make your choices as best you can.

But I understand the fear of not trusting what lies before you, because any choice we make changes everything. If there is only now, any choice we make causes everything else to fall away, so in making a choice, we're also choosing not to make any other choice. That's not always easy to reconcile. Takes you out of the moment. Nobody said the road to enlightenment was easy.

But, if you simply choose to follow your heart, your passion, your excitement, then it doesn't matter what choice you make, because this IS that anyway. Let what ever feels most exciting in that moment be your guiding light.

Someone not too far from Sedona once said, "don't just be passionate, be passionate about being passionate". Not so easy, but I know exactly what he meant.

So what is there to be afraid of then?

That's the key. That's the thing that we need to do which makes the difference. After all, if this IS that, then there's nothing to be afraid of. No reason not to trust. There are no wrong decisions. Only decisions. To trust that your life is as it's supposed to be, and the only reason it doesn't feel that way is that you feel you have to make all the decisions. This OR that is quite a burden if it's down to you to get it right. This IS that, releases it into the hands of the Universe to give you what you need, to make anything into a positive experience, because nothing comes with any built in meaning. Life is meaningless. The mind imagines, but the heart connects.

It may seem easy for me to say these things as if I've got it all figured out. I haven't I assure you. But I sometimes see what someone else needs because I reflect what I need to see. In effect, we are really talking to our higher selves here, because without what is said, none of this would be said at all.

16. #56 Jerry Geisler, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Hi,

The following is an extract of a 17 page handwritten text.

simple sentence. zero dimensional space

Page 1 Outline
    Page 2 Basic notions
    Page 3 Thing (Equivalence - Connection_without_direction/order)
    Page 4, 5 Connections

Connection_without_direction/order Set

Movement_over_0/1 Creation - Annihilation /movement in 0-d ???/

Connection_over_1 State/Quality

(Connection_with_direction/order)

Connection_over_2

Genitive connection

Genitive_is'' (Definition)

Genitive_has''(Embedding/Recursion)

non_Genitive connection

non_Genitive_is'' (“next-ness”: Instr. case; function; iteration; ...)
    (is'' and any transitive verb'' are non_Genitive_is'' connection)
    non_Genitive_has'' (???)

Page 6, 7

Directions/order
    Equivalence
    Name
    Observer
    Event
    Qualifying
    Recognition-Naming

Page 8 Simple sentence
    Page 9 “Natural numbers” – 0-d thing (quality)
    Page 10 Vector
    Page 11 Logic
    Page 12 Time (in “language”)
    Page 13-1 Things and Connections in 0-d space – Names in “Simple sentence”
    Page 13 "Simple sentence"
    Page 14 Grammatical case in the “Simple sentence”
    Page 14+1 Connections (in) 0-d space – Grammatical cases in “Simple sentence”
    Page 15 Prepositions in the “Simple sentence”

Page 3 Thing (some of the text)

Thing is"(Def.) Connection - Equivalence of A and B. (A and B are things)
    Thing(-s) is/are always in a space/connection.
    One "sees" things and spaces/connections.

Page 4 Connection (some of the text)

Connection is"(Def.) Thing.
    Connection is"(Equiv.) Space.
    Space is"(Equiv.) Connection.
    Connection/Space is not a thing to/for the things it connects/contains.

Page 6 (some of the text)

Equivalence
    One "sees" A and B as 2 "sides" of 1 thing C. And this thing C is the Connection of A and B.

Name
    Name is Thing.

Observer
    Observer is Thing.

Event
    Event is Equivalence (Connection) of the Observer and a connection.

Page 8 (some of the text)

So called Real and non_Real things are identical.
    Event is a unit of Reality.
    Simple sentence is a unit of "Language". /quotation marks here say:/
    "Language" is a part of Reality. /1. there isn't Language; 2. a "language" ... (see below) /

Simple sentence is Event (and consists of events).

page 9 (one edited sentence)

"Natural number" is a Quality of a Set (which is Connection, which is Thing) of things which have same (common) quality.

Page 11 (some of the text)

There is no Language by itself - just working consciousness.
    /a set of things(words) and rules make a "language" - English, French, .../
    One's "thinking"/consciousness is the same in every "area".

Page 13 (some of the text)

"Simple sentence"

is Name of a Simple sentence/Event
    consists of Names
    is a result of events

The "Simple sentence" is (has to be) simple, convenient, not exact.

Then the "Simple sentence" is one defined verb by:

The "Simple sentence" has/employs:

Grammatical cases;
    Omissions;
    Abbreviations;
    Replacements/Substitutions;
    Errors;
    Prepositions;

Page 14 (one edited sentence)

Grammatical case is a denotation (by certain means) of a missing (left out) verb/connection
    and the 1st and the 2nd in that Connection.

Page 15 (some of the text)

Divider divides Space into Sub_Spaces called Prepositions and other.

Sub_Spaces/Places in 0-d Space are the prepositions of and with.

/of is a place in Genitive_has''

/with is a place in non_Genitive_is''

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary

Concepts: Thing, Connection/Space

Symmetry: Connection is Thing - Thing is Connection (Equivalence).

Complementarity:

Things in a set are complementary.

Without_order and with_order are complementary
    Equivalence and Set are complementary ("Out" and "In" Connection_without_order)
    Genitive and non_Genitive are complementary (Connection_with_order)
    Genitive_is'' and Genitive_has'' are complementary

Time:

Exact moments, not_Exact moments

0-d (in General, ever: "Now" is Connection/Space for Past and Future)

1-d (...)

/not now/

... Freedom, Power, Justice (-s), ...

/not now/

Machine:

to Eat is to Live
    to Feed is to Work
    /Hunger_1; Hunger_2; Hunger_3; ( ... ???)
    Environment
    Environment
    Mushroom treatment
    /not now/

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Verb read'' in " John read" book " is a non_Genitive connection (transitive/divalent verb).
    Verb read' in " John read' " is a Connection_over_1/State/Quality (read' and red' (colour) are qualities/states).
    " Apple is' red'. "
    is', go', ... (intransitive verbs)

- - -

There are different is (be):
    is' - State/Quality of Existence of a thing;
    Genitive_is" - Definition;
    non_Genitive_is" - "next-ness";
    is" (''', '''', ...) Equivalence .

Here the type of is is not expressed everywhere and somewhere it is expressed wrong.

- - -

The handwritten text is awful. A link is not placed for not the post be considered spam.
    It could be provided though.

The pdf-file was placed on a forum about Linguistics.
    The idea was "sold" as another Dependency Grammar.

- - -

Thought is"(equiv.) Simple sentence is"(equiv.) Event.

People are heavily in business of building a conscious machine.

They haven't deciphered Language yet. (or have they?)
    /There is no Language by itself - just working consciousness. (p.11)/
    -
    It is about Things and Connections/Spaces - no matter the realisation.

/one fails to "see" Spaces (1-2-3-...) as connections and Connection as 0-d space/

Consciousness as a machine works/is made/ in a specific way.