Solipsism - The theory that nothing exists but your own consciousness...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Senior PoopiePants, May 9, 2013.

1. #1 Senior PoopiePants, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
    I "realized" this theory like 15 years ago, but just waved it off. Then I saw the word "Solipsism" recently, but I didn't look it up. I just stumbled upon it and I feel like a dummy. :eek:

10 Mind-Blowing Theories That Will Change Your Perception of the World

Wow... So there it is. And it's been around for over 2,000 years.

Thoughts?

And I do apologize: I have acquired a NASTY case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, so I will probably just be watching this thread. Hopefully my hands and wrist get better. :)

2. Solipsism is irrefutable if one is a strict sensory empiricist...

3. wow, great read!

4. Awesome its got a name!

5. what do you think about this one?

10. Phenomenalism.

Everyone is interested in what happens to things when we aren't looking at them. Scientists have carefully studied this problem and some of them came to a simple conclusion - they disappear. Well, not quite like this. Phenomenalist philosophers believe that objects only exist as a phenomenon of consciousness. So, your laptop is only here while you are aware of, and believe in its existence, but when you turn away from it, it ceases to exist until you or someone else interacts with it. There is no existence without perception. This is the root of phenomenalism.

6. Its an arrogant and pointless theory

7. Yeah how does it account for other beings and non local information

8. #8 Boats And Hoes, May 9, 2013
    Not really... because it totally undermines, and stifles, the validity of strict empiricism when it comes to defining reality, i.e., FCUK U Mr. SCIENTIST.

9. Before one can assert the reality of other beings, one must determine how he or she will determine what is "true" and what is not...

10. Phenomenalism is basically Solipsism and Presentism combined.

11. I think we can all agree that its indeed true that other entities besides your own exist

12. The point is that it can't be proven. Whether or not a collective agrees something is correct has no determination on whether or not it is actually objectively valid(e.g. Keynesianism).

13. #13 Boats And Hoes, May 9, 2013
    Yes, but that is not the point. The point is that an empirical scientist cannot prove this... meaning, all systematic knowledge which is rooted in strict empiricism is fallible.-And, this actuality, of an empiricist not being able to circumvent solipsism, just goes to show and vindicate the soul, spirituality, and God, i.e., immaterial and imperceptible reality. No matter how hard one tries, he or she cannot deny that there is something much more to reality than mundane and sensory experience, i.e., strict empirical experience... and solipsism just does that, it attest to the inherent defect of defining truth and reality in terms of empiricism. :bongin:

14. You're an arrogant and pointless theory!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. #15 Deleted member 95373, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    The bolded part is a faulty deduction. Solipsism shows empiricism can be fallible but it in no way attests to the idea of there being something beyond what can be sensed.

16. I see that your CTS won't be stopping you when there's something you feel is important to say. :p

17. I remember thinking the Idea of solipsism since I was a little kid. Ive been struggling with it forever and only today heard the term when Boats N Hoes dropped it in another thread.

There is no way to get around Solipsism, it is one of the fundamental riddles of existing as a human. For even if I say "of course other people see and think and have their own lives and consciousnesses", this is still an idea I hold in my own thoughts, in my mind / brain.

I think we should all accept that it doesn't matter, for regardless of if we are all that exists or not, it is beneficial to ourselves / to myself to be nice to everyone else we see in the world around us.

18. If the only thing that exists is my consciousness then I have a lot less to feel bad about in regard to all those prostitutes that I fucked the shit out of.

19. #19 Boats And Hoes, May 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
    Okay, care to follow where this train-of-thought will lead us if we are to ask some questions about its assertions, friend?

20. Solipsism is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist

So how does prove the existence of things outside of one's own mind?