soil vs hydro for yield

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by guygreenthumbs, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Hello everyone. I've been reading a lot and I want more yield out of my set up. I'm using ffof with perlite, earthworm castings, and coco coir in 5 gallon buckets. 2 1000 watt hps bulbs. Strain: northlights. I'm on week 4 of flower and I just don't think I'm going to get a huge yield out of my 10 girls. From wat I've read it looks Like I need to switch to hydro to get the high tier of yielding I would like. Or is there something I'm not doing right? I've read about super croping and I plan to experiment with my next batch. But I'm really considering hydro. Let me know what you think. Thank you

2. #2 CL4P-TP, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
    how many grows you got under current set up ? how many grows period? what do you consider a huge yield ?

hydro certainly changes the game, but until you've got a few grows under your belt soil is safer IME.

BRB, gonna get breakfast, let the dogs out.. do the whole west coast morning thing :smoke: 

3. I mean, if you want absolutely the largest yields.... look into scrog aeroponics. But keep in mind... its a whole different game. Im on the same page as you actually, slightly smaller op, but i have been using spil/coco/casting/guano for the last 7 months, 2 harvest amd ive been yielding 35-50 grams per plant under an all led grow in a 4x4 tent. Recently just picked up a 6 site aeroponics system from boca hydro and plan on setting it up just after new years! Im hoping that my yields will imcrease by 20-30% using scrog and the aeroponics... but maybe in just bullshitting myself.Sent from my LG-VM696 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. if you're running aero.. just gonna tell you this right now .... get extra pumps. have at least one back up.

a DWC or EnF can go a day, even two if the system is big enough, without a pump running. In aero that's counted in hours. but i've seen some amazing results with areo to justify it.

myself..I'm a lazy ass EnF guy :eek:

5. #5 Emma & Dave, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
    Yeeesss. At the moment i have the pump that came with the set up, its the -A2- and a spare 275 gph.... are pump problems pretty common?Yeah im just looking to grow the absolute best (clean&potent are my criteria for best) meds you know? Aeroponics has always caught my eye.Sent from my LG-VM696 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. U guys are really making me want to buy a hydro system lol. But you brought up some good points. This is my first grow other then a closest grow I did when I was younger which resulted in about an 1/8 of bud. I got 10 females under 2000 watts of hps. Can someone give me a number for what I should expect to get at the least? Thank u

7. Your soil mix lacks well rounded nutrition, especially at week 4 of flowering. You may be able to still do some good for your current grow, regardless of what growing method you chose in the future. Make yourself an EWC/kelp/alfalfa slurry and top dress your pots with it. I don't know the recipe off the top of my head right now, because I've never had need to use one. But I hear they work wonders for soils that need a little "kick". Were you trying to stay "organic"? What about bottled nutes?

I'll be back. I'm going to try to dig up that slurry recipe for you...

8. [quote name="guygreenthumbs" post="19199381" timestamp="1387566812"]U guys are really making me want to buy a hydro system lol. But you brought up some good points. This is my first grow other then a closest grow I did when I was younger which resulted in about an 1/8 of bud. I got 10 females under 2000 watts of hps. Can someone give me a number for what I should expect to get at the least? Thank u[/quote]With the style i grow, i would consistanly pop off 2 lbs every 3.5 months with your set up. I usually supercrop, lst, fim and lollipop my trees to produce 6-10 good sized colas with absolutely no popcorn if i can help it. I find this style of growing works best for the potency im looking for... but this is all just opinion. Sent from my LG-VM696 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I'm currently using a bulkimg formula and somethimg else that contains high nitrogen. When I get home ill have the name for you. Appreciate all the help and positive attitudes. Keep smokin :)

10. Dude i use so many nutes its ridiculous. All in low doses though.Sent from my LG-VM696 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

If you're doing indoor you're absolutely right, training is crucial, along with genetics. You could have an enormous amount of watts at your disposal, and any other number of good mediums, but training and genetics go a long way. 

12. Yes sir! Knowing how to manipulate the plant is half the battle. I grow in a 4x4 tent so i have to make the absolute most of it. Im starting to think scrog is the only way to grow.Sent from my LG-VM696 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. pumps break ... its not a question of if, but when. as long as you've got the GPH to keep the sprayers running you're golden in aero.

if shit goes bad though, you can get away with a smaller pump in an EnF ( as long as your rez and grow sites aren't too far away from each other). and if you're in DWC .. you can just use a wire whisk if to aerate the H2O if you're really desperate. but in Aero you got to be on the GPH.

its all up to you and your perspective really. seems you're thinking ahead which is key, no matter what medium/system you choose to run with.

14. how can you tell this?

with no pics or any indicator of the plants health or possible yield except "an eyeball" by an admitted novice ?

you can't!!

you're assuming.

just cause he isn't following your way of organic growing, doesn't mean he is not meeting his plants needs!!!

this is a huge mistake man, and one you really need to get over to become the awesome grower you're possible of becoming.

15. #15 Emma & Dave, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks thanks, i learned the hard way its better to learn as much as you can before so your not playing catch up when a problem hits... and im taking that to the heart considering how quickly things go wrong in aero.hey, you seem to know what you're talking about, something thats been bothering me.... my system is pretty simple and small... does 400 gph sound good if its only divided between 6 sprayers... i mean... thats how the system came stock so im sure it "works" but if higher gph is better, i wouldn't mind grabbing a 700gph. Edited:Yeah... when did nutrients come into the convo? :pSent from my LG-VM696 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. #16 CL4P-TP, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
    you're gonna want to aim for a gram per watt as a goal ( about 2.5 lbs per 1K).. but be stoked when your first few grows yields in @ 1/4 gram per watt (hopefully you're closer to 1/2 per watt)

if you're plants are healthy 2.5-3 lbs should be about right. EDIT: for your first few runs

one thing to consider is that the majority of the bulking process in the last 1/4 of flower, when the calyx's swell.

pull the nitro, they don't need much of it any more. more phosphorus and potassium are needed especially, in the second half of flower.

what bud booster are you using ...

17. have a look into the Lucas Formula when you do switch. save the $$ IMNHO

http://lucasformula.com/

whats your system ( out of a box? DIY Ebay?)?  more important what size sprayers did it come with ?

one of the reasons I don't use Aero now, was I ran aero cloners and it became a pain to get the right pump for it ...most out of the box systems have parts that they don't use anywhere else.

shit like the pumps the same, but the cords too thin/thick for the system...or a pump 20 GHP short and you get a trickle..or 10 GPH over and it somehow pops the sprayers out of the PVC holders...unless you buy the pump specifically for that system something went wrong..drove me nuts..and it wasn't just one system/company either. GRRR /bitchfestoff

18. http://www.bocahydro.com/support/ae...ta-articles/157-a-series-aeroponic-system-a-2That's the system.I just emailed them asking what the specs on the sprayers are. They usually get back to kke in 5-10 mins. Thanks for that, im digging the cost effectiveness. Right now i use the full rock nutrient line, gro-tek monster bloom, atami blossom builder, Humboldts crystal bust and purple.max along with several "types" of silicates... oh and several humic acids derived from different soucres... oh and michigan made calmag and micros. Shit is amazing. So much... but it all has a purpose you know, in moderation.Sent from my LG-VM696 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. #19 waktoo, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

Your point is valid.  No pic's.  But anyone that has mixed their own soil knows that this is a nutrient deficient soil, based on the ingredients contained in his soil mix, and the stage of growth that the plant is currently in.  And if you'd bothered to pay attention to the rest of the first paragraph in my post, especially the last two sentences, you would have noticed the inquiry about HOW he was trying to grow, which was answered promptly two posts later.  Not an organic grow... I will leave the rest to your most capable hands.

OP, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.    

20. Agrees with Wak too. The slurry recipe is nothing more than the basics of compost building, like you suggest a balanced ratio of materials naturally suitable for plants growth

The compost - water - alfalfa - kelp slurry is something of a shortcut to add nutrients to the soil if you hadn't done so in advance. Just stir it gently for ten to thirty minutes and make sure the larger particles of alfalfa and organic material do not fall near the plant stem. Especially watch out for the alfalfa.