Soil PH Problems (Nutrient Lock)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Medicinal-Tommy, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Hey guys I started a new thread because I wasnt getting enough answers on my current thread.

Here is my problem:
    1. I am using Happy Frog Potting Soil
    2. My ph is stuck at 4.5 to 5.5 ( it's supposed to be at 6.5)
    3. I have 9 plants at 4.5 weeks into flower
    4. I took one 3 gallon plant and took tap water and measured the ph it was 7.2 I then added dolomite lime and brought the ph up to 8.5
    5. I watered the one plant with 8 gallons of 8.5 ph'd water and I was only able to bring the ph up from 5.0 to 5.5. Does this seem normal does anyone else have any suggestions? I would like to get the ph up to 6.5 at this rate it is going to take me 15 gallons of 8.5 ph'd water to get one plant up to 6.5. That is a lot of dolomite lime. Then of course I will need to add nutrients after such a flush. I still have about 4 weeks of flower left. I had to do this flush or a couple of my plants would of been dead in a couple of days.

The pics of my current problem are on my current thread White Widow from Nirvana Shop
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/475954-white-widow-nirvana-shop-29.html#post6314408

2. I had a run with low ph issues. I added 1 tablespoon of dolomite lime per gallon of soil. I removed the top 2-3" of soil and put the lime down then covered it back up with the soil. I also added some lime at the same rate to my water. My plants were in the 4.5-5 range with this method it took 1 week for my plant to recover to a ph of 5.8-6.0. I now add lime to my soil mix before planting at the same rate.

Good luck and happy harvest!!

3. You can also use baking soda to bring up the ph of the water. Just a little will bring up the ph.

4. Question, If I rinse each plant with 5 gallons of water, and I am 4 1/2 weeks into flower wont my plants be starving for nutes, even though the ph is still around 5.5. What should I do at this stage. I am going to rinse all 9 plants today with 5 gallons of water per plant. I am going to add a 1/4 cup of dolomite lime per 5 gallons of rinse. So another words a 1/4 cup of dolomite for 5 gallons should bring the ph above 8.0 even though the plants are still going to be at around 5.5 when finished. Then do I add nutes after that, and Just add dolomite lime to my nutrient mix to bring up the ph. Then just water with a ph of 7.0 or higher until it comes up?

5. You want to fix the ph of the soil before adding nutes back in. I just added the lime to my soil and watered with adjusted water for 1 week. When my ph was ok I started my nutes back up.

I am suprised that Happy Frog and FF nutes are causing this. I had this issue using MG and now use Happy Frog for my base in my mix.