Soil mix?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by shortlist, Jul 30, 2009.

1. hi guys n girls.I am about to start my first ever grow (indoor closet) and I have inherited some fert and soil from a friend but hes currently out of the country and so im fairly lost on how to mix the two in terms of quantity.

I have Canna Terra professional fertilizer which says it has a "ph(h2o)" of 5.5-6.5 and a "npk ferilizer" of 12/14/24

the soil/compost im am using is john innes no.1
    here are the details:

JOHN INNES POTTING COMPOST No.1 - for pricking out or potting-up young seedlings or rooted cuttings. This composts has a carefully balanced nutrient content to suit most young plants.

WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS?
    The function of each of the ingredients in John Innes is briefly as follows:-
    LOAM - Loam is the most important ingredient in the compost as it provides the main "body" of the compost. It also forms the base of plant nutrition by supplying clay, which has a cation and anion exchange capacity, that is, it absorbs and releases plant nutrients as required. Loam also contains essential micro-elements and some organic matter which provides a slow release of nitrogen to the plant.
    PEAT - Sphagnum Moss Peat in the John Innes Compost increases the total porosity and improves both the aeration and the water-retaining capacity. Peat decomposes slowly into humus.
    SAND - The coarse sand or grit is used as a physical conditioner to allow excess water to drain from the compost and thus prevent water-logging. It also helps to provide stability for larger plants.
    FERTILISER - The compound fertiliser in John Innes Compost provides a wide spectrum of plant nutrients needed for balanced growth, including :-

• NITROGEN - for top growth
    • PHOSPHATES - for root growth
    • POTASH - for flowering and fruiting
    • TRACE ELEMENTS - for colour and flavour

This is my first grow and i have done alot of research in terms of the setup form my box but i dont have a clue about the soil.I am using 13cmx13cmx13cm square pots .please help.

thanks in advance.

2. #2 Freedom, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
    Here's what I would do:

Throw away that soil
    Then throw away that fertiliser.
    Go to shop
    Get good quality organic soil with no added ferts and nothing that says 'feeds for .......'
    Get some nutes with an npk ratio of 20.10.10 or similar.

In the vegetative stage, your plants need more nitrogen. When you flower them, give them some nutes with more P and K, than N.

Your plant will not need any ferts at all when it is a baby. When you do start to feed them, add the nutes at a 1/4 of the strength recommended and see how they like it before you increase the dose.

Good luck man. :)

3. Oh yeah, get some perlite too and mix it into the organic soil. :)

4. #4 shortlist, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
    thanks for the advice.So what i have is unusuable or it it just your opinion that its better/easier to use the mix you suggested?

im asking because the canna terra was purchased at a seed bank so obviously id be pretty shocked to find out that i couldnt use them for my autoflowering ak48.

thanks again!

i completely forgot to add ...I also have BioBiz BioBloom for flowering (20-6-3.5) which directs 2-5ml per watering..(i plan on watering until soil starts to drain,then nothing until the soil is drying again and then repeating the process again-would that work?)

And BioBiz Topmax to "use in addition to water and nutes"

5. It's not that your soil is unusable, but in mho, it will in all probability burn your plants, you're better off controlling the nutes yourself. :)

The ferts you have sound like hydro ferts to me, although I can't be sure. You want a higher pH than that for soil as well. Actually on a reread, I would put money on those being hydro ferts.

Your watering plan is sound. :)

6. Canna Terra Professional Soil - HydroHobby Hydroponics UK

i think my friends got it wrong.i have the john innes which is compost and the Canna Terra is a pre mixed soil .Can i just use the Canna terra alone and in a week or two go out and buy the flores and Vega nutes for later stages.Thats kind of what im getting from that website as they say its not for hydroponic grows and perfect for the first few weeks while the seedling establishes itself

7. I'm confused man. :confused: I mean, that soil looks fine, 'cos it's using good organic (what i said) ingredients, naturally high in N (what i said), so you don't need to add any ferts to start off (what i said). But that's not the medium you described in your first post....

Anyhoo, I don't feel equipped to offer advice as I am unsure what you want to use where, with what! :smoking:

I would avoid that John Innes stuff. Just my opinion though.

Hopefully someone else can offer better help. :) Good luck.

8. ye sorry about that i made a mistake.the john innes stuff is a compost full of feed(cant use that i know),but the canna terra stuff,i originaly thought it was fertilizer,is actualy a soil mix.

I just about got my setup sorted today and im itching to get this seed in the ground as soon as possible so do i have enough here to start tomorrow,do i just put the canna terra straight into the pot alone,and then just watering it? i know i will need to buy more nutes/ferts later but i should be okay for a week or two no?

9. Oh ok, I getcha. Yeah that's fine man, plant your bean.

Good luck. :)

10. bat guano and worm castings help to.

11. ye the mix includes castings too.Thanks for the help guys,germination commences tonight!

12. sending some good vibes to those seeds SL You think you'll keep a journal of your grow? I know I'd love to watch the plant(s) progress :) What you doing for lighting and ventilation?