Soil grow vs Hydroponics?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by GrapeApe, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Hello GC, I am a first time grower and am having a hard time grasping on if I want to do a soil grow or a hydroponics setup.

If I were to do Hydroponics I would most likely purchase this system: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bucket-Culture-Bubbler-System/dp/B0047PO26M?camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=discfm-20

What I don't fully understand is the rewards of hydroponics vs a basic soil grow. Like would I achieve a higher yield through hydroponics vs a soil grow or am I able to make the same results. I have no problem purchasing a hydroponics system if its going to benefit me in the long run i just dont want to spend the cash if not necessary.

I have researched online and have been given the following answers. but please note this is not strictly cannabis thats why im having a hard time trusting the following information word for word.

Advantages of Hydroponics
    • Soil is not required for hydroponics
    • No need for huge farming land as it allows the crops to be produced in greenhouses, even in the desert sands. It is a stable technology for growth of plants and ensures  by Smarter Shopper">high yields[​IMG]
    • The desired nutrient environment can be easily provided for plant growth
    • Water stays in the system thus labor for watering of plants can be avoided
    • Lower water costs as water is reused in these systems
    • Less water is lost through evaporation and runoff
    • Acid-base balance can be easily maintained.
    • No mulching, tilling, changing of soil and weeding
    • No scope of pesticide damage
    • Proper aeration of nutrient solution is possible. Nutrition pollution is not released into the environment
    • Easier to get rid of pests and diseases
    • Easy to harvest
    Disadvantages of Hydroponics
    • Limited production in comparison to field conditions
    • Initial setup cost is high, as the necessary equipments are expensive
    • Technical skill is required to maintain the equipments
    • by Smarter Shopper">Hydroponic gardens[​IMG] are influenced by power cut
    • If a disease appears all plants in the container will be affected. Water borne diseases can quickly spread right through the  by Smarter Shopper">hydroponic gardens[​IMG]
    • If the hydroponic system fails it can leads to rapid plant death without soil as a buffer
    \n\nI would love to hear your opinions on a soil grow vs a hydroponics setup.
    \n**Im a big fan of others showing me there setups**
    \nThanks in advance!

2. From everything I've read (and seen in friends' grows) hydro has the potential to yield more IF you get everything right. It's also easier to kill your crop in hydro.

Organic in soil has the best and most complex flavor though, which is why I personally went with that.

3. Go soil ..very forgiving..look thru the forum ..get sum organic soil and tea recipes..hard to over nute plants when organic ..just my opinionSent from my SGH-T889 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. only points 1 and 8 in "advantages" can't be had in soil grows if you do it right. it only takes a bit of research n know how.

optimal nutes are supplied by a well constructed soil.

water can stay by small irrigation (blumat, etc.) biochar and other methods.

Lower water costs? I'm not sure that constant across the board.

PH is a small issue in organic soil.

Mulching promotes healtier soil and is just easy as it get. Tilling isn't even recommend. many farmers are seeing their water use plummet with no till methods.

minimal pesticides are needed in soil and they're still needed in hydroponics.

aeration, smart pots, perlite, rice hulls, aerations there.

organisms in soil reduce nitrification of nitrates. and the runoff of hydroponics personally worries me more. whatever the plant doesn't take get flush down the drain, into the water supply.

I don't see how pests would be easier to rid.

Harvest. cut it at the soil line and go from there. no different.

I'm not an expert but was a hand on an organic farm for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Both soil and hydroponic based systems need proper light and environmental conditions (temperature and humidity) therefore careful planning is important to the success of your garden whether it is indoors or outdoors regardless of the method.

You can also visit about Hydroponics for more information.