Soil Grow Container Size

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jimi2cool, Sep 23, 2010.

1. I'm about to transplant a few plants from there 1gal pots to their finishing pots. I'm trying to veg them enough to increase yield first since I have a 5 plant limit and need to get as much out of them as possible. I'm planning on moving to a DWC system wuith 5gal buckets but for now I'm working in soil. The largest is about 2' tall and they're all very bushy. I want to give them enough room so when I start flowering next week I won't need to think about it again and they can get as big as they please.

What size container should I use to grow them big in soil? Would a 5gal bucket do? I've seen 30gal grow bags but is that a little on the extreme side for an indoor grow?

2. Rule of thumb is 1 gallon for every 1 foot. I don't ever use less than 3 gallons unless I'm using SoG.

3. my ceiling it about 8 or 9 feet high so I believe I'd be able to fit a 7ish gallon pot? I was planning on doing SoG also so why would it be a bad idea to go with a larger pot size?

4. One gallon per month. If it takes your indica 3 mths from veg to bloom, use a 3-5 gallon bucket. 5 gallons for a longer blooming sativa.

5. 7 gal at least - A plant will get as wide as the container plus a little bit more - as a general rule of thumb, so if you are after a larger yield go with a larger container, 7 at least. I bet if you did a side by side with 2 clones off the same mother, one in a 3 gal and 1 in a 15 gal, you'd see quite a bit of difference - use 18gal rubbermaid tubs with holes drilled and then lined with landscaping fabric - or just drill a shitload of tiny holes, works as added o2 to the roots, aids in plant development. YOu could even do 2 plants in 2 tubs and 1 in one tub or a 7 gal and see if there is a diff. in yield. just my 2cts