Soil/Fertilizer Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by emax420, May 12, 2004.

1. Hi all:

We just finished our first harvest, and funny enough we harvested on 4/20 of all days. In any case. We were hardly satisfied with our yield. We learned a lot of things along the way, that I would expect would increase our yield considerably the next go around, however...I just have a couple basic questions, since we never really asked.

What is the best soil to use for indoor growing?

What is the best fertilizer to use for indoor growing?

Brand names would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Lessee..

For soil, any potting mix with no slow-release nutrients pre-mixed into the soil. These can eventually cause nutrient blockout, more particularily Nitrogen, a fundamental nutrient for plant growth. As long as you've got that covered, any soil works. I would add in some perlite as well, for added drainage of the soil, as our little green friends do not like their roots wet all the time.

As for nutrients, I would personally suggest General Hydroponics 3-part Flora series. Even if you're not growing hydroponically, you can still use these nutrients. They are used by a great number of growers, and the 3-part solution allows you to customize your plants' nutrient intake.

~Lycanthropy

3. or if you'd prefer to get nutes from say your local hardware store (i dunno about elsewhere, but the hardware stores around here dont sell general hydroponics) look for pretty much anything with an almost even NPK value like 20-20-20, or one with a little more nitrogen or a little less potasium... (like 30-20-20 or 20-20-10)...... and for flowering look for something low nitrogen but high phosphorus (like 5-35-5)...

and pretty much just follow the instructions on the box and you'll do ok ;)

4. Ha, that would be something I'd love to see Lowe's carry. No, chances are that you won't find the GH Flora series at a hardware store. One would probably have better luck at a hydroponics supply retailer.

~Lycanthropy

5. Alright, thanks for the information. It was definitely useful. I didn't know you should change on the flowering stage, but now I do. Thanks again.