Soil/compost question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jcypress, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Hi everybody! Just a quick into, I've had a couple of successful hydro grows but last year I decided to simplify things and go organic.

I bought peat moss, perlite, garden tone, and lime. For my compost I have access to a mound of cow manure mixed with hay, this is where my wife's grandfather feeds his cows during the winter. I dug down deep and filled several syrup tubs (3 cuft) with the black dirt below.
    Then I had to put the grow on hold until now. So, I've had the manure sitting in the tubs for over a year now. I just mixed it up with equal parts peat moss and not quite as much perlite, a few scoops of lime (scoop is about a cup) and a few scoops of garden tone.

I put this mix back into the tubs, let it get soaked with a good heavy rain and now they're sitting.

Will the cow manure compost still be viable after sitting for over a year?

Is there anything else that is a must add at this point, or will my soul mix be a good starting soil that I can amend later or top dress for success?

I'm going to start some seeds in a week or 2, but I want to have my soil in good shape first.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 A guy, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    I recommend you consider the recipe on the No-Till page (or some variation of it). Sounds like you're trying for something along those lines. There is a recipe and much discussion and it'd probably be a good place to post this question.

No-Till Gardening: Revisited

• Like Like x 2